Scott Rolen sounds like a guy getting ready to retire

Feb 12, 2013, 5:03 PM EST

scott rolen getty Getty Images

The Cincinnati Reds just announced that Scott Rolen will not join team for spring training.  In the wake of that Rolen issued his own statement through the team. He did not announce his retirement, but he certainly sounds like a guy strongly considering it:

“Right now I’m simply not ready to make a commitment. I would like to leave my options open, without closing any doors. I am looking forward to all of the challenges, both personally and professionally, I will face in the future.”

Not sure where else Rolen could land. My assumption is that Rolen will wait a bit to see if anyone suffers an injury in camp and has a need for a third baseman. Barring that, though, it sounds like the end of a Hall of Very Good career.

1. albertmn - Feb 12, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Kind of sounds like the Reds are giving the old “we’re going to give you the opportunity to retire before we cut you” to Rolen.

2. chacochicken - Feb 12, 2013 at 5:15 PM

He moves like someone who should have retired two years ago. Scott was a very good player in his day and as much fun as baseball is, they’d have to drag me kicking and screaming and toss me out of the clubhouse.

• plmathfoto - Feb 12, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Good god, it’s like 5 years from now this saga will continue, Scott Rolen, who last played a major league game on (fill in the blank) 2012 may be retired… Enough already!

3. fatmanhattan - Feb 12, 2013 at 10:52 PM

I submit that Rolen has enjoyed a Hall of Fame career: RoY, 7 ASG, 8 GG, bWAR says 7th best 3B of all time, JAWS has him 9th, fWAR has him 7th (despite being just 18th in PA among 3B), won a World Series… What more does a guy have to do?

4. gostlcards5 - Feb 13, 2013 at 1:53 PM

Best defensive 3B I’ve ever seen play the game….in my opinion, probably in the top 3 all-time of that category.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. G. Stanton (4043)