Feb 12, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times reports that the Felix Hernandex deal is done. Jack Zduriencik has announced it’s complete and Hernandez is taking his physical while we speak. There will be a press conference tomorrow.
There were concerns about Hernandez’s elbow, but obviously they weren’t big ones. Baker reports that Zduriencik praised Hernandez’s agents, which suggests that they were flexible about language in the deal to give the team some amount of protection in the event of future injury. But given that this got taken care of in the space of a couple of days, it likely wasn’t a major concession.
Hernandez, then, stands to make $175 million over the next seven years, starting in 2013. He is the highest paid pitcher in baseball both on a per annum basis and on an overall contract basis.
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 20
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 15
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 76
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 52
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (280)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)