Feb 12, 2013, 8:58 AM EDT
Not a big fan of the Pirates logo. It’s very 1990s NBA. I’m shocked it doesn’t have some teal in it someplace. So good news for people like me:
Four focus groups — season ticket holders, corporate partners, suite holders and random fans — are meeting at PNC Park this week to help pick a new buccaneer symbol. The present model, shown here, features a snarling pirate in a black and red bandana. It has been around since 1997.
“It’s time to update it a little bit,” executive vice president and chief marketing director Lou DePaoli said.
I sort of like the old one, but that may be a bit too oldish. It’s kind of hard to make a cool logo when your mascot is a person. Either it’s too realistic looking or else you go all stylized with it which gets you into some weird territory.
They note that they are keeping the gold “P” as the primary symbol of the organization. Maybe just emphasize it even more and slap it on stuff on which the pirate logo currently appears? I dunno.
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 16
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 11
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 182
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 87
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (183)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)