Feb 12, 2013, 8:58 AM EDT
Not a big fan of the Pirates logo. It’s very 1990s NBA. I’m shocked it doesn’t have some teal in it someplace. So good news for people like me:
Four focus groups — season ticket holders, corporate partners, suite holders and random fans — are meeting at PNC Park this week to help pick a new buccaneer symbol. The present model, shown here, features a snarling pirate in a black and red bandana. It has been around since 1997.
“It’s time to update it a little bit,” executive vice president and chief marketing director Lou DePaoli said.
I sort of like the old one, but that may be a bit too oldish. It’s kind of hard to make a cool logo when your mascot is a person. Either it’s too realistic looking or else you go all stylized with it which gets you into some weird territory.
They note that they are keeping the gold “P” as the primary symbol of the organization. Maybe just emphasize it even more and slap it on stuff on which the pirate logo currently appears? I dunno.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 2
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 4
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 5
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 51
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 25
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)