Feb 12, 2013, 8:58 AM EDT
Not a big fan of the Pirates logo. It’s very 1990s NBA. I’m shocked it doesn’t have some teal in it someplace. So good news for people like me:
Four focus groups — season ticket holders, corporate partners, suite holders and random fans — are meeting at PNC Park this week to help pick a new buccaneer symbol. The present model, shown here, features a snarling pirate in a black and red bandana. It has been around since 1997.
“It’s time to update it a little bit,” executive vice president and chief marketing director Lou DePaoli said.
I sort of like the old one, but that may be a bit too oldish. It’s kind of hard to make a cool logo when your mascot is a person. Either it’s too realistic looking or else you go all stylized with it which gets you into some weird territory.
They note that they are keeping the gold “P” as the primary symbol of the organization. Maybe just emphasize it even more and slap it on stuff on which the pirate logo currently appears? I dunno.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)