We’re still piling on Bobby Valentine, apparently

Feb 12, 2013, 4:00 PM EDT

Bobby Valentine Reuters

I get piling on old Bobby Valentine all winter. The bad season still lingers. You have to assess what happened until at least the Winter Meetings, and then you have to talk about all the new moves with reference to why they were necessary in the first place. But you’d think that when the new spring training began that the blame game from 2012 would be over. For it not to be is a special kind of madness.

Madness? THIS IS BOSTON:

David Ortiz never mentioned him by name, but on Tuesday blamed former manager Bobby Valentine for many of the problems plaguing the last-place Boston Red Sox last season.

“A lot of players had a lot of issues with our manager last year,’’ said Ortiz, responding to a question whether the club, which finished 69-93 last season, needed to improve its character. “We have a new manager this year, a guy who is familiar with the organization, a guy we pretty much grew up around him. That’s John [Farrell].

Ortiz goes into more specifics, but there’s really nothing we haven’t heard before. Tone. Incidents from last year’s spring training. Ortiz has a legit beef about Valentine questioning whether he was able to come back after his injury last year, but for the most part this seems like warmed over oatmeal.

It’s a new year. Valentine is gone. Look forward, right?

1. pellypell - Feb 12, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Ok, time to move on now.

• 18thstreet - Feb 12, 2013 at 4:14 PM

I’m still piling on Grady Little, Butch Hobson, and John McNamara. If I were a little older, I’d be piling on Don Zimmer.

This isn’t over. It’s never over.

• snowbirdgothic - Feb 12, 2013 at 4:31 PM

And that goldarn Vern Stephens…

• drewzducks - Feb 12, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Damn that Jim Burton !

• tfbuckfutter - Feb 12, 2013 at 5:19 PM

What about Jimy “Manager’s Decions” Williams (or if you prefer “7th-Inning-Naptime”)?

God he was terrible. I’m just happy Dernell McDonald wasn’t available for him to use, because that guy who have started every inning of every game.

Yup, an outfield of McDonald/Buford/Lewis 9 innings per game, 162 games a year.

• buggieowens - Feb 12, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Wow…I thought I was a hardcore Red Sox fan but you took it to another level…impressive….most impressive.

• 18thstreet - Feb 13, 2013 at 9:28 AM

I didn’t mind Jimy. When I look at those 1999 and 2000 teams, there’s so little talent there beyond Pedro and Nomar (plus some nice support pieces). I always understood “manager’s decision” to mean, “I’m not going to explain my strategy to you, because other managers can read the newspapers, too.” Didn’t bother me.

2. bobwsc - Feb 12, 2013 at 4:12 PM

is this Craig sticking up for the new workmate?

• purnellmeagrejr - Feb 12, 2013 at 4:34 PM

I love warmed over oatmeal – made into patties and fried until golden brown in some olive oil.t – maybe strawberries from the garden if it’s June.

3. rollinghighwayblues - Feb 12, 2013 at 4:24 PM

I’ll say this first, some of his preseason comments were out of line, I get that that rubbed some fans and players the wrong way.

That being said: Bobby Valentine was paid to hit fungo and fill out lineup cards and occasionally talk like an asshat BUT he was not the person(s) on the field playing like an unmotivated/pouty teenager most of the time. The Red Sox looked so bored and uninterested majority of the games that I watched that it made me sick. These grown men/millionaire athletes playing like they honestly couldn’t care less was asinine to say the least. Go out there and play the game, it’s that easy. Quit worrying about the clown making outlandish comments and hurting people’s little feelings.

4. Kevin Gillman - Feb 12, 2013 at 4:25 PM

No, not when Ortiz first came into Spring Training, which he did. I also expect other players to chime in too, but after that and when the season starts….move on. But it’s fair for Papi to speak about that now, in Spring Training.

5. thebadguyswon - Feb 12, 2013 at 4:39 PM

The bottom line is Bobby V is collecting their money while not working. I’m quite certain his skin is thick enough that he couldn’t care less what the players or fans want to say.

It didn’t work out. Time to turn the page, folks.

6. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Feb 12, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Blame Bobby for whatever you want, but what happened in Boston is exactly what everyone predicted would happen in Boston upon the hiring of Bobby V. In other words, don’t hate Bobby for being Bobby: hate the people who thought it was a good idea to bring him in. Those guys are still in the executive suites at Fenway.

• Old Gator - Feb 12, 2013 at 6:37 PM

I agree. Bobby V is the very epitome of Gowachin guilty – a complex legal concept that I predict Craig will be able to explain more clearly in the coming days, after his admission to the Gowachin bar as a Legum.

7. oldpaddy - Feb 12, 2013 at 5:49 PM

F V!!!!!

8. deathmonkey41 - Feb 12, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Ortiz is a whiny bitch. He should just do his PEDs and STHU.

9. skeleteeth - Feb 12, 2013 at 9:06 PM

ZzZzZZZzzzZZZZZZZZ

When home-field advantage isn't so
  1. T. Lincecum (3160)