Feb 13, 2013, 3:21 PM EST
Last week contract talks between Adam Wainwright and the Cardinals were called “casual” and “ongoing,” but yesterday general manager John Mozeliak indicated that the two sides aren’t close on a long-term extension.
Wainwright is entering the final season of his contract with a salary of $12 million and Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com reports that the 31-year-old right-hander may be willing to continue negotiating during the season if necessary.
“I think both parties have a similar goal,” Mozeliak said. “In time, we’ll see if we can work towards it.”
Given his age and the fact that Wainwright is one season removed from Tommy John elbow surgery the length of a potential extension could be tricky, as the Cardinals would no doubt like to limit a deal to two or three years.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 67
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 33
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)