Carlos Ruiz apologizes for his Adderall use

Feb 13, 2013, 4:08 PM EDT

Philadelphia Phillies v  Atlanta Braves Getty Images

Carlos Ruiz met the press today in Clearwater and apologized for using Adderall without a prescription, which bought him a 25-game suspension. From CSNPhilly.com:

“First, I apologize to my organization, the fans, my teammates, my whole family,” Ruiz said. “I feel so bad. I’m trying to put everything behind [me] and do my best this year. For me, it’s hard, man. I leave my team for 25 games but I want to play. At the same time, I feel like they support me. I have a lot of good friends. I’m ready to come back and do my best.”

That was his statement. But as CSN’s John Gonzalez reports, it was a weird scene there, as reporters kept asking Ruiz questions about the whys and hows of his Adderall use and Ruiz repeatedly dodged, saying he used it two times and repeating that he was sorry.

As we noted earlier today in the Jhonny Peralta post, talking about one’s PED use is a no-win game. Still, you’d think the idea would not to be cryptic and weird about it.

Whatever. See you at the end of April, Chooch.

1. El Bravo - Feb 13, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Experience tells me that he likely had a write a 10-page paper about the fall of Apartheid that was due in 8 hours.

2. The Dangerous Mabry - Feb 13, 2013 at 4:39 PM

Perhaps he was just having trouble focusing on the question.

3. phisticuffs - Feb 13, 2013 at 4:53 PM

He admitted that he used it and that he was wrong. That’s better than the litany of lame excuses we usually get (e.g., unknowingly ingested, etc.). The media may want a more full explanation, but Chooch was honest (about cheating – I appreciate the irony) and that’s all he had to say.

• zacksdad - Feb 13, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Actually he admitted he made a mistake and apologized to everyone for getting suspended. He could have meant he made a mistake of taking it before faking ADHD to a doctor and getting a prescription. Or he made a mistake by getting caught twice. Or he made a mistake not having someone else’s urine with him at all times.

But it sounds like he plan is on fixing the issue by getting diagnosed having ADHD. Then he can “legally” take an amphetamine.

4. zacksdad - Feb 13, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Ok, Craig you did not read the story correctly or listen to his interview. Craig quoted him “he used it two times”, yet the other writer quotes it twice in the story as “I got caught two times, and I pay for that,” and “I got caught two times.”

This statement is a big difference. I wonder how long he has been using it and how often. And if he gets a doctor to agree that he has ADHD, he gets to continue to use it. I remember reading a story where somewhere around only about 2% of the population gets diagnosed having ADHD, but baseball players are like 20%. My numbers are probably wrong, but I know there was a big difference. Shoot 0% percent of non-baseball players are attempting IVF, but Manny was trying to use IVF to get pregnant.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Feb 13, 2013 at 8:07 PM

“but Manny was trying to use IVF to get pregnant.”

Mrs. DelawarePhilliesFan and I were seeing a fertility sepcialist at the time Manny got busted, it was our second go around, so I was very well versed in all the meds and what they did, including Clomid. Needless to say, that was topic A in one visit! I was like “Am I hallucinating, or is there NOTHING what so ever Clomid will do for a male in reproduction?” Our doc is one of the best, 25 years in the field – and he emphantically concured

• zacksdad - Feb 14, 2013 at 11:32 AM

I was being sarcastic. I also realize that a man cannot get pregnant either. Hence what I thought was the obvious sarcasm.

My wife and also did IVF, so I am aware about the drugs used for this. We tried three times and was successful the first time around. Zack is my IVF baby. I hope you had good luck on some of your attempts.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Feb 14, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Oh yes, I caught that you were being sarcastic – I was seconding how absurd Manny sounded. And I figured you had some first hand experience, using terms like IVF.

Still recall that visit – our otherwise humorless doctor cracking a smail as soon as I said “So, I assume you have heard all about Manny Ramirez…..”

And for us – round 1 was successful, round two was not. But I am happy for what we have, as I sure you are as well

5. Jonny 5 - Feb 13, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Cliff Lee is allowed to take it I’m pretty sure. He’s an excitable kid that Cliffy is.

6. yankeepunk3000 - Feb 13, 2013 at 8:52 PM

my brother uses aderal but he needs it so do I. It’s not that hig a deal so let’s not go crazy he is forgiven!

7. cmdrsmooth - Feb 13, 2013 at 10:41 PM

Cheated, got caught. Would be suspended for at least a year.

• dwdive - Feb 14, 2013 at 1:18 PM

You are confusing the punishments for “banned substance” and Banned PED’s. This is the equivalent of smoking pot or testing positive for a pain med without a prescription. This is not the typical “PED Cheating” scandal. He’s not a juicer or a cheater

8. deathmonkey41 - Feb 14, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Wasn’t this the second time he tested positive for a banned substance? Why is he only getting 25 games?

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Feb 14, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Yes, and stimulants are classified differently then PED’s

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5208)