Feb 13, 2013, 1:50 PM EDT
After missing all of last season with a foot injury followed by shoulder surgery Dustin McGowan was supposed to be healthy this spring, but because “healthy” and “Dustin McGowan” aren’t allowed to go together he’s already been shut down with more shoulder problems.
Blue Jays manager John Gibbons told reporters that McGowan’s “shoulder was barking” and he’ll take an indefinite break from throwing off a mound.
McGowan essentially hasn’t been healthy since mid-2008, as multiple injuries have ruined what was once a very promising career as a hard-throwing starter. Toronto raised a lot of eyebrows last spring by signing McGowan to a contract extension that guaranteed him $1.5 million in both 2013 and 2014, plus a $500,000 buyout for 2015. That deal is looking more and more like a charitable donation at this point.
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 0
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 46
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 6
- Josh Johnson needs a second Tommy John surgery 19
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 42