Feb 13, 2013, 1:50 PM EDT
After missing all of last season with a foot injury followed by shoulder surgery Dustin McGowan was supposed to be healthy this spring, but because “healthy” and “Dustin McGowan” aren’t allowed to go together he’s already been shut down with more shoulder problems.
Blue Jays manager John Gibbons told reporters that McGowan’s “shoulder was barking” and he’ll take an indefinite break from throwing off a mound.
McGowan essentially hasn’t been healthy since mid-2008, as multiple injuries have ruined what was once a very promising career as a hard-throwing starter. Toronto raised a lot of eyebrows last spring by signing McGowan to a contract extension that guaranteed him $1.5 million in both 2013 and 2014, plus a $500,000 buyout for 2015. That deal is looking more and more like a charitable donation at this point.
- Video: Jake Arrieta strikes out Chase Utley to complete his no-hitter 3
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 19
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 9
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 55
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)