Francisco Cervelli on link to Biogenesis clinic: “I just went there, talked, and that’s it.”

Feb 13, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT

New York Yankees' Cervelli walks back to the dugout after striking out against the Washington Nationals in Tampa Reuters

Yankees catcher Francisco Cervelli spoke to the media today about being named in the Biogenesis clinic records, admitting that he met with biochemist Anthony Bosch following a 2011 foot injury and denying any wrongdoing:

When I got my foot injured in 2011, I checked with doctors and somebody recommended me Biogenesis. I went there for maybe suggestions, and that’s it. I walked away without nothing in my hands. I just went there, talked and that’s it.

My first reaction to reading that quote is to wonder who, exactly, “recommended” Cervelli go to the Biogensis clinic, because I’ll bet that person knows some pretty interesting details. Cervelli claims that person was not a player or agent, and also said he plans to cooperate with MLB’s investigation.

1. silversun60 - Feb 13, 2013 at 10:57 AM

“I swear (insert wife’s name here), I just went to that hooker to talk!”

2. amaninwhite - Feb 13, 2013 at 11:04 AM

He walked away “without nothing”. Is that a confession?

3. mashoaf - Feb 13, 2013 at 11:26 AM

It was flaxseed, I swear…

4. gmenfan1982 - Feb 13, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Who cares anyway. It’s not like anything he might have taken helped his game at all anyway. That is if he did take anything. I usually give someone the benefit of the doubt. But in reality, what does it matter anyway? If the majority of players use things to get an edge then it seems like an even playing field to me. If everyone is trying to get an edge then nobody gets an edge.

5. Gobias Industries - Feb 13, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Craig: “Okay, Aaron, let’s dole out these Biogenesis names randomly. I’ll write all the posts on…I don’t know…this Alex Rodriguez fella…am I pronouncing that right??…and let’s see here…Brian…I’m sorry…Ryan Braun…or whatever his name is. And you can take Francisco Cervelli.”

Aaron: “Harumph.”

• mazblast - Feb 14, 2013 at 9:32 AM

“I didn’t get a harumph from that guy!”
      “Give the governor a harumph!”
      “Harumph!”
      “That’s better. You’d better watch your a**.”

6. mdac1012 - Feb 13, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Should have taken stronger “stuff” because he sucks.

7. alexo0 - Feb 13, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Can we assume he’s on something if the size of his batting helmet has grown over his career?

8. vallewho - Feb 13, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Guilty by stupidity

9. deathmonkey41 - Feb 13, 2013 at 12:15 PM

If he went there to talk, Biogenisis must have had a translator because this dude has one of the heaviest accents I have ever heard.

• elpendejo59 - Feb 13, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Dude, have you ever been to Coral Gables? You would need the translator, not Cervelli, trust me.

10. beachnbaseball - Feb 13, 2013 at 1:53 PM

“But I never inhaled.”

or……

“I never had sex with that woman.”

11. mazblast - Feb 14, 2013 at 9:37 AM

At least two YANKEES were named, so MLB must turn a blind eye.

Seriously, though, all they have right now is alleged list(s) allegedly written by Biogenesis. Writing down someone’s name as being a customer does not automatically mean they ARE a customer. That said, if I’m one of the guys named, I’m not taking so much as a Tylenol this spring.

A's, Tigers big winners at trade deadline