Feb 13, 2013, 2:30 PM EDT
Fred Wilpon showed up at spring training today and said that his financial problems are over:
“It’s all in the rear-view mirror… The family is in great shape. The family really is in great shape. Sometimes luck is the residue of design … There’s no one in my family — there’s the Katz family, the Wilpon family, kids — [that now] has any personal bank debt. Zero. Everything has been paid. We don’t owe a dollar to anybody … ”That’s what made us tight. We were still getting revenues. Lots of revenues. But those revenues were going to pay off debt. That’s done.”
Wilpon said that starting next year that the payroll will go up and Sandy Alderson can chase free agents “if prudent.”
You’d like to believe Wilpon here if you’re a Mets fan. But this is also the guy who, when all of the Madoff stuff began, said that it wouldn’t impact the Mets or the on-the-field product. It certainly has.
So put up or shut up, Fred. That’s the only way you’re going to win back the Mets fans your ownership of the team has alienated.
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (84)
- LIVE: Bruins-Blackhawks, Game 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming