Feb 13, 2013, 4:46 PM EST
Mets prospect Jenrry Mejia hasn’t reported to spring training yet because he’s stuck in the Dominican Republic and get can’t approved for a work visa due to an investigation into his age and identity.
General manager Sandy Alderson told reporters today that he believes the investigation is random, saying: “I don’t think there was any reason specifically that they decided to do that. I understand that there is a new regime at the consulate and they wanted to do that review.”
Before becoming the Mets’ general manager Alderson was a Special Consultant to the Commissioner for Latin America, which involved working to crack down on identify fraud in the Dominican Republic, among other countries. So presumably when Alderson says he thinks it’s a random investigation he has some pretty solid sources.
Jorge Castillo of the Newark Star-Ledger reports that Mejia will work out at the Mets’ complex in the Dominican Republic, so assuming he’s eventually cleared for a visa the 23-year-old right-hander shouldn’t be too far behind the other pitchers in camp.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (373)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)