Feb 13, 2013, 4:46 PM EST
Mets prospect Jenrry Mejia hasn’t reported to spring training yet because he’s stuck in the Dominican Republic and get can’t approved for a work visa due to an investigation into his age and identity.
General manager Sandy Alderson told reporters today that he believes the investigation is random, saying: “I don’t think there was any reason specifically that they decided to do that. I understand that there is a new regime at the consulate and they wanted to do that review.”
Before becoming the Mets’ general manager Alderson was a Special Consultant to the Commissioner for Latin America, which involved working to crack down on identify fraud in the Dominican Republic, among other countries. So presumably when Alderson says he thinks it’s a random investigation he has some pretty solid sources.
Jorge Castillo of the Newark Star-Ledger reports that Mejia will work out at the Mets’ complex in the Dominican Republic, so assuming he’s eventually cleared for a visa the 23-year-old right-hander shouldn’t be too far behind the other pitchers in camp.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 82
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (161)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)