Feb 13, 2013, 4:46 PM EDT
Mets prospect Jenrry Mejia hasn’t reported to spring training yet because he’s stuck in the Dominican Republic and get can’t approved for a work visa due to an investigation into his age and identity.
General manager Sandy Alderson told reporters today that he believes the investigation is random, saying: “I don’t think there was any reason specifically that they decided to do that. I understand that there is a new regime at the consulate and they wanted to do that review.”
Before becoming the Mets’ general manager Alderson was a Special Consultant to the Commissioner for Latin America, which involved working to crack down on identify fraud in the Dominican Republic, among other countries. So presumably when Alderson says he thinks it’s a random investigation he has some pretty solid sources.
Jorge Castillo of the Newark Star-Ledger reports that Mejia will work out at the Mets’ complex in the Dominican Republic, so assuming he’s eventually cleared for a visa the 23-year-old right-hander shouldn’t be too far behind the other pitchers in camp.
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 40
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 50
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 22
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 44
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 71
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (71)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)