Feb 13, 2013, 1:30 PM EST
Jhonny Peralta must have been asked by Ryan Braun and Alex Rodriguez to give a far more impersonal and crappy public statement about the Biogenesis stuff than they gave, thereby making them look better:
Jhonny Peralta on Bosch report: “I don’t have any comment about that. I talked about that with my lawyer.” Statement from last month stands.
— Jason Beck (@beckjason) February 13, 2013
I’m curious to see how this is received. In the past, such statements were panned by baseball writers as not being forthcoming. Players were asked to try to explain things, not hide behind legal statements. Then, when they started to explain more, they were panned for sounding like they were lying and — even if they did provide details — for still not being forthcoming. Peralta is going old school with this. Interesting.
Probably doesn’t matter though. Anyone who follows this stuff knows that the real predictor of how much scorn a ballplayer is going to get over this kind of thing has nothing to do with his actions or statements. It has everything to do with how famous he is. And Peralta isn’t nearly as famous as Alex Rodriguez or Ryan Braun.
- MLB declares Hector Olivera a free agent 0
- Video: Watch Matt Harvey’s return to action against the Tigers 3
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 23
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 36
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 147
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)