Feb 13, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT
Jhonny Peralta must have been asked by Ryan Braun and Alex Rodriguez to give a far more impersonal and crappy public statement about the Biogenesis stuff than they gave, thereby making them look better:
Jhonny Peralta on Bosch report: “I don’t have any comment about that. I talked about that with my lawyer.” Statement from last month stands.
— Jason Beck (@beckjason) February 13, 2013
I’m curious to see how this is received. In the past, such statements were panned by baseball writers as not being forthcoming. Players were asked to try to explain things, not hide behind legal statements. Then, when they started to explain more, they were panned for sounding like they were lying and — even if they did provide details — for still not being forthcoming. Peralta is going old school with this. Interesting.
Probably doesn’t matter though. Anyone who follows this stuff knows that the real predictor of how much scorn a ballplayer is going to get over this kind of thing has nothing to do with his actions or statements. It has everything to do with how famous he is. And Peralta isn’t nearly as famous as Alex Rodriguez or Ryan Braun.
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 0
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 8
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 28
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 19
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 13
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 42
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 45
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (188)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)