Jhonny Peralta offers a quite formal statement about being in the Biogenesis records

Feb 13, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT

Jhonny Peralta must have been asked by Ryan Braun and Alex Rodriguez to give a far more impersonal and crappy public statement about the Biogenesis stuff than they gave, thereby making them look better:

I’m curious to see how this is received. In the past, such statements were panned by baseball writers as not being forthcoming. Players were asked to try to explain things, not hide behind legal statements. Then, when they started to explain more, they were panned for sounding like they were lying and — even if they did provide details — for still not being forthcoming. Peralta is going old school with this. Interesting.

Probably doesn’t matter though. Anyone who follows this stuff knows that the real predictor of how much scorn a ballplayer is going to get over this kind of thing has nothing to do with his actions or statements. It has everything to do with how famous he is. And Peralta isn’t nearly as famous as Alex Rodriguez or Ryan Braun.

1. gostlcards5 - Feb 13, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Instead of the crappy statement, perhaps he should spend more time teaching his parents how to spell names…

• historiophiliac - Feb 13, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Don’t be jhealous!

2. bla bla bla - Feb 13, 2013 at 1:53 PM

Braun may very well not be able to say anything without violating the terms of the binding arbitration from last year’s successful appeal. This would render said arbitration null & void, putting Braun right back at the mercy of MLB, that entity so interested in fair and impartial arbitration that they immediately fired the highly respected Shyam Das when he ruled against them.

3. historiophiliac - Feb 13, 2013 at 1:58 PM

I thought we’d already established he lacks range…

4. Kevin Gillman - Feb 13, 2013 at 2:07 PM

I’m curious, do media and journalists ever apologize to the player if they accuse them of wrong doing, and it turns out it didn’t happen?

• pellypell - Feb 13, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Only time I can recall is Jason Whitlock apologizing after this tweet about Jeremy Lin:

Whitlock tweeted, “Some lucky lady in NYC is gonna feel a couple inches of pain tonight.”

Apparently Lin is hung.

• hep3 - Feb 13, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Apology or not, Whitlock is worthless.

• Kevin Gillman - Feb 13, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Yeah I remember that, and the thing is as soon as we hear about a player linked with HGH, we assume it’s true. Maybe it’s not, but if it isn’t, I rarely see an apology from a writer. Just one of those unspoken rules, I guess.

5. pellypell - Feb 13, 2013 at 2:08 PM

I don’t blame him for not saying more. For all we know, this Biogenesis fella just started writing names down, not sure that implicates anyone. If that is all it is going to take moving forward, what’s to stop other scumbags from creating their own lists or fabricating records?

6. largebill - Feb 13, 2013 at 2:27 PM

If you’re damned if you do and damned if you don’t – then just say nothing and don’t give media more ammo.

7. DelawarePhilliesFan - Feb 13, 2013 at 2:45 PM

I refuse to forgive him until he spells his name right.

• paperlions - Feb 13, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Why? Jonathan is just a “misspelled” version of Hebrew Yehonathan.

Fucking lazy ass English can’t spell anything right.

• historiophiliac - Feb 13, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Really? English speakers are going to explain about superfluous letters? smh

• historiophiliac - Feb 13, 2013 at 5:50 PM

*complain

dammit!

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Feb 13, 2013 at 6:00 PM

You see, these are what are known as “jokes”….

• historiophiliac - Feb 13, 2013 at 6:06 PM

My bad. I thought the routine was: you drop the joke & we razz you back. No?

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Feb 13, 2013 at 8:00 PM

@hist – my “these are jokes” comment was to paperlions comments. I was using the panel and replying to what he said, didn’t see there were two comments in between until after I posted

Of course if this site had an EDIT FUNCTION….that could have been clarified earlier….

• historiophiliac - Feb 13, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Del-Phil, I suspect paper was trying to crack a joke too (“Yehonathan”). It’s just hard to tell w/ him sometimes b/c he’s always wearing his serious t-shirt. His “jokes” just kinda sneak up on you.

• paperlions - Feb 13, 2013 at 9:56 PM

I was making fun of the stupidity of criticizing spelling of versions of names in languages that are not the origin of the name. Nearly every name in english is not of english origin or spelled the same as it is in the original language. Arrogance or criticism born of ignorance just annoys me. Maybe I’m being a dick, whatever.

• historiophiliac - Feb 13, 2013 at 10:21 PM

crabbylions lol

8. stlouis1baseball - Feb 13, 2013 at 3:50 PM

If it were me…
    I would alternate my answers with “there is nothing to discuss” and “I have no idea what you are talking about.” Every single time I would give one of those two answers.
    Ohhh…and I would apologize each time for miss-spelling Johnny.

• historiophiliac - Feb 13, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Bhooooooo!

/throws popcorn

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 13, 2013 at 5:44 PM

LOL! Where have you been Philiac? I am trolling my ass off today.
        I think I might have led Bravo to his first drink at like 3:30 P.M. (while he was working).

• historiophiliac - Feb 13, 2013 at 5:46 PM

I’ve been in mheetings. :(

Whell done! I don’t think Bravo is easy to get to. Excellent work, Wheat Thin.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3565)