Mariners trade reliever Shawn Kelley to the Yankees

Feb 13, 2013, 7:42 PM EDT

shawn kelley getty Getty Images

Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times reports that the Mariners have traded reliever Shawn Kelley to the Yankees for young outfielder Abraham Almonte.

Kelley was designated for assignment by the M’s last week to clear a 40-man roster spot for catcher Kelly Shoppach. The 28-year-old right-hander had a decent 3.25 ERA, 1.31 WHIP and 45/15 K/BB ratio in 44 1/3 innings last season out of the Mariners’ bullpen and will presumably be in the running for a middle relief job this spring in Yankees camp.

Almonte, 23, batted .273/.347/.389 with four home runs and 32 stolen bases in 85 games last summer between rookie ball and Double-A Trenton.

1. uyf1950 - Feb 13, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Almonte was expendable as a prospect for the Yankees they have 6 higher ranked OF prospects in their system than Almonte. It will be interesting to see who Kelley competes against for a shot in the bullpen against. Prior to this I figured the Yankees would head north with: Mo, Robertson, Chamberlain, Aardsma, Logan, Rapada and Phelps (long relief guy) as the 7 penciled in for the bullpen. My guess if anyone doesn’t head north with the team of that group it will be Rapada. Just my opinion.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Feb 14, 2013 at 6:55 AM

According to the RAB guys, he still has an option left so they could always stash him at AAA.

• uyf1950 - Feb 14, 2013 at 7:40 AM

They will I’m sure if they decide to go with the other relief pitchers. Also, I know Rapada isn’t arbitration eligible until next season so the Yankees still control him for a while, while Logan is a FA after this year. Could be several dynamics going on here.

• deathmonkey41 - Feb 14, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Rapada was awful when it counted.

2. mybrunoblog - Feb 13, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Always good to have some competition for jobs in camp. Competition makes us all better. Not a big move but I like it.

3. yankeepunk3000 - Feb 13, 2013 at 8:43 PM

you sound like a well knowledged fan. I wish I had a few of those around me damn I can never have a convo with anyone who knows baseball. It’s truly sad I tell you.

• purnellmeagrejr - Feb 14, 2013 at 9:06 AM

I used to have a friend to talk baseball with all the time. Tthat – and the factd that he was able to embezzzle money from me was tthe basis of the friendship. I’ve got bettter friends now, thankfullly. – but nobody to talk baseballl with.

4. leshon42 - Feb 14, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Kelley will make the team and have a great year !!

5. denny65 - Feb 15, 2013 at 3:07 AM

This was Jack Z’s second stupidest move this winter, exceeded only by his completely unfathomable trade of John Jaso to Oakland.

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate