Feb 13, 2013, 7:42 PM EDT
Kelley was designated for assignment by the M’s last week to clear a 40-man roster spot for catcher Kelly Shoppach. The 28-year-old right-hander had a decent 3.25 ERA, 1.31 WHIP and 45/15 K/BB ratio in 44 1/3 innings last season out of the Mariners’ bullpen and will presumably be in the running for a middle relief job this spring in Yankees camp.
Almonte, 23, batted .273/.347/.389 with four home runs and 32 stolen bases in 85 games last summer between rookie ball and Double-A Trenton.
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 43
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 50
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 33
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 61
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 47
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 19
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (221)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (75)