Feb 13, 2013, 7:42 PM EDT
Kelley was designated for assignment by the M’s last week to clear a 40-man roster spot for catcher Kelly Shoppach. The 28-year-old right-hander had a decent 3.25 ERA, 1.31 WHIP and 45/15 K/BB ratio in 44 1/3 innings last season out of the Mariners’ bullpen and will presumably be in the running for a middle relief job this spring in Yankees camp.
Almonte, 23, batted .273/.347/.389 with four home runs and 32 stolen bases in 85 games last summer between rookie ball and Double-A Trenton.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 36
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 31
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 211
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 31
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 42
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (211)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (102)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)