Feb 13, 2013, 2:14 PM EST
Justin Verlander is already being asked about free agency, but rotation-mate Max Scherzer, who like Verlander is under the Tigers’ control through 2014, said yesterday that he’d like to sign a long-term extension:
My preference is I love Detroit. I love the city. I love being part of this organization. I love being part of this organization because of the winning atmosphere that comes from the owner that goes down to the GM, that goes down to management, that goes down to everybody.
Not every organization has that, and to be part of an organization that’s all about winning, it’s something you want to be a part of. And so, if they would want to include me in their long-term plans, I want to be a part of it because of the atmosphere and culture here in Detroit.
Jason Beck of MLB.com reports that the Tigers “brought up the possibility of a long-term contract” before avoiding arbitration for this season with a one-year, $6.725 million deal. Scherzer is a Scott Boras client and they tend not to pass up free agency, although Jered Weaver is a prominent recent example of a top-notch pitcher who did with a very team-friendly deal.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 7
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 276
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (276)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)