Mike Piazza’s guide to increasing one’s popularity in Los Angeles: slam Vin Scully

Feb 13, 2013, 3:01 PM EST

scully ap AP

More excerpts from Mike Piazza’s new book are out. Bill Shakin has the story here: Mike Piazza criticizing Vin Scully for turning the fans against him in L.A.

Piazza talks about his contract negotiations with the Dodgers prior to the 1998 season. In an interview with Scully, Piazza says Scully asked him about the deadline Piazza set for negotiations, which was the beginning of spring training. Shaikin on what Piazza wrote:

Piazza wrote that Scully asked him about the deadline in a spring interview. “He wasn’t happy about it,” Piazza wrote. “And Scully’s voice carried a great deal of authority in Los Angeles … Vin Scully was crushing me.”

Scully denies it:

“I have no idea where he is coming from. I really have no idea. I can’t imagine saying something about a player and his contract. I just don’t do that, ever. I’m really flabbergasted by that reference.”

Look, I know there’s a habit these days to say that Vin Scully is some godlike figure who does no wrong, so defending Scully is not exactly a brave and bold stance.  But can anyone recall a time when Scully truly got involved in that level of the game? Contracts and dollars are so far out of his bailiwick that he’d have to call long distance back to his bailiwick to get his messages if ever he found himself there.  Scully is all about stuff like “Uggla is Swedish for owl” and things.

Piazza talks about how he’s not well-liked in Los Angeles anymore. Hard to imagine why.

1. kingscourt25 - Feb 13, 2013 at 3:15 PM

We get it, Mike. You want to go in as a Met. No need to drag Scully into this.

• Liam - Feb 13, 2013 at 5:07 PM

I figured he was definitely going to go in wearing a Marlins hat. It was a hell of a two weeks they had together.

• fanofevilempire - Feb 13, 2013 at 5:28 PM

oh please, like Scully couldn’t ever say anything wrong because he is a Saint………………..
      what bull shite

2. nothanksimdriving123 - Feb 13, 2013 at 3:15 PM

I do not know if what Piazza says is true. I will toss in though, that if he’d been as good at his job as Scully has been at his, Mike would have about 1,286 home runs, a career BA of .722, and he’d still be playing, having already been enshrined at Cooperstown, the retirement rules having been waived.

• ezthinking - Feb 13, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Except when you take off the rose colored glasses (or more appropriately ear muffs) and really listen to Vin these days, he makes as many mistakes as to the pitch, player names and situation as Harry Carey did in his last 5 years.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Feb 13, 2013 at 11:18 PM

I have heard Vinny flub some things in recent years, but he’s nowhere near Caray territory yet, and I hope he steps away before he gets there.

• manchestermiracle - Feb 13, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Getting older doesn’t make Vin a bad guy and ’98 was 15 years ago. Scully in his old age is still ten times better than anyone in history.

3. deathmonkey41 - Feb 13, 2013 at 3:25 PM

So, is Frank McCourt now more likeable than Piazza in LA?

4. misterchainbluelightning - Feb 13, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Piazza is such a drama queen he just provides a ton of ammo to those who question his sexuality.

• kirkvanhouten - Feb 13, 2013 at 3:40 PM

As a homosexual myself, I’m terribly confused about the correlation between disliking Vin Scully and gayness. I personally like Vin Scully a lot. Does that mean I’m straight?

• misterchainbluelightning - Feb 13, 2013 at 4:02 PM

There is no correlation, it’s just another example of Piazza whining about other people to the media and anyone who will listen rather than just shutting up, which in most cases is his best course of action.
        And a confused homosexual? Shocker

• kirkvanhouten - Feb 13, 2013 at 4:09 PM

“And a confused homosexual? Shocker”

You stay classy misterchain.

• kjericho43 - Feb 13, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Wow. “Confused homosexual”. Ridiculous homophobic comment. Does he throw like a girl too?

• kirkvanhouten - Feb 13, 2013 at 4:32 PM

“Does he throw like a girl too?”

Your comment made my day because it reminded me of my old Boris the Sprinkler shirt (they were a 90s indie pop punk band)…arguably the best band T-shirt ever made.

• shawndc04 - Feb 13, 2013 at 5:14 PM

@misterchainbluelightning

Totally uncalled for comment, and I could say worse.

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 13, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Hahaha! Get him Kirk.
        And my guess is…
        You throw a lot better than the commercial with that dude throwing to his son. VW maybe?
        Regardless…that commercial embarasses me. It truly does.

• nategearhart - Feb 13, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Jackass.

• cur68 - Feb 13, 2013 at 7:42 PM

I think people who are worried about the sexuality of others are actually really worrying about their own sexual nature. In order to get over whomever Mike Piazza has sex with, I think you need to focus on what the problem really is. I think your issue is really whom YOU’RE having sex with (or perhaps, whom you’d LIKE to be having sex with).

Resolve your own issues then you might find you don’t care so much about what two consenting adults get up to in private.

5. kjericho43 - Feb 13, 2013 at 3:29 PM

That’s blinkin fertilizer, Mike

• escapingexile - Feb 13, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Well played. Unfortunately, I don’t know how many people will get that.

• kjericho43 - Feb 13, 2013 at 3:54 PM

its glorious

6. tcostant - Feb 13, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Intertest part of the article is that when Piazza signed with the Mets he got Signed 7 yr/$91 M; which was no where near the $105M he wanted from the Dodgers

• thebadguyswon - Feb 13, 2013 at 7:14 PM

True. But he got to play in New York and not LA, which is worth the difference.

7. mojosmagic - Feb 13, 2013 at 3:36 PM

It’s Mike’s party and he can cry if he wants to, cry if he wants to, cry if he wants to, you would cry to if the Hall of Fame dissed you.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Feb 13, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Very nice Lesley Gore play!

8. richyballgame - Feb 13, 2013 at 3:51 PM

It’s Mike’s book,through his eyes. Whether it’s true or not about the Scully-bit,we’ll never know for certain.

• manchestermiracle - Feb 13, 2013 at 11:30 PM

I heartily disagree. Vin Scully ain’t no liar.

• richyballgame - Feb 14, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Do you know Vin Scully personally?

9. El Bravo - Feb 13, 2013 at 4:10 PM

As far as cheaters go, of which I mean it has been proven they cheated (see Armstrong, Lance), I find Piazza’s denials weaker and even more transparent. Now, I know he hasn’t been proven as a cheater, but his interviews make me think he is covering it up b/c his answers are along the lines of comments by other cheaters when they made strong denials or used indifference as a response. Basically, I didn’t bother to pay attention to Piazza one way or another b/c I find him a non-topic, but after seeing him speak on the subject two different times yesterday, I think he absolutely cheated. That’s based off nothing but hunch and the “eye test” so it means nothing, I know. That said, I’d wager money on the fact, yes fact, that he took P.E.D.s regularly. It’s a guilty til proven innocent world nowadays with P.E.D.s and sports. We can thank the former cheaters that lied and then were caught for that. No one reinforced this methodology more than Lance did.

• kirkvanhouten - Feb 13, 2013 at 4:16 PM

The problem is, there is literally no possible way to prove you didn’t take something. He may have cheated…but I think it creates a completely unfair standard to say that he has to prove something he can’t possible prove.

• El Bravo - Feb 13, 2013 at 4:30 PM

This is true but as a fan I’ve basically been lied to almost every time someone denies PED use. Maybe every time. My philosophy has very recently changed b/c of this fact. They aren’t going to jail for cheating in sports, but I sure as hell don’t have to believe anyone anymore that is accused of cheating and denies it. There’s no way to tell either way from someone’s word. All I can tell is that most often, the person accused has actually cheated. History tells me that Piazza is a liar. That and my gut. I’d still vote him in the H.O.F. by the way. That way he can be enshrined with the countless other cheaters and shitheads.

• Old Gator - Feb 13, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Gowachin guilty!

10. agelardi - Feb 13, 2013 at 4:48 PM

I loved Piazza as a player when he was in NY (NY’er but not a Mets fan), thought he built up a lot of good will too, but he seems to be throwing all away with this book.

• thebadguyswon - Feb 13, 2013 at 7:19 PM

The only joke was Clemens trying to throw one by Piazza. Once he realized he couldn’t, he hit him with fastballs. THERE is your joke. Typical Yankee for the typical Yankees fan.

11. Admin - Feb 13, 2013 at 5:46 PM

As a Yankee fan, we always knew Piazza was a joke. Now it seems he feels like sharing that fact with the rest of the world.

• thebadguyswon - Feb 13, 2013 at 7:16 PM

The Yankees wish they ever had a catcher as good as Mike Piazza.

• Kevin S. - Feb 14, 2013 at 1:38 AM

Ever? I hear that short guy with the big ears and the funny quotes wasn’t too bad in his day, and Posada, while not quite in Piazza’s league, meant that the Yankees hardly had any catcher envy at the time.

12. opshuns - Feb 13, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Mikey! Mikey! Mikey, you can pee on the batboy’s shoes, but don’t even dribble towards a legend with a microphone!!!!!!

13. manchestermiracle - Feb 13, 2013 at 11:42 PM

I had a pretty high opinion of Piazza until I read this. If you want to believe Dodger fans don’t like you any longer, fine, go with that. Just say, “Fuck L.A.” But blaming Vin Scully for your paranoia about how you think some fans see you will transform that warped vision into reality in a heartbeat.

As a Dodgers fan I hated to see Piazza go, but now I’m glad he did. If you actually get into the HOF, Mike, go ahead and use any uniform but a Dodger one since you don’t deserve it.

14. 4cornersfan - Feb 14, 2013 at 3:23 AM

I replay Vin Scully to get to sleep. He has to be the most boring announcer in any sport.

15. yahmule - Feb 14, 2013 at 7:21 AM

To which Vin Scully replied, “at least I’m not some gay dude on steroids”. Or, maybe that was a guy I know from Sun Valley. Also possible I fabricated everything.

16. brooklynboy48 - Feb 14, 2013 at 8:26 AM

I’m a Met fan who loves Mike Piazza, but I’m not happy about this Vin Scully business. How could anyone be critical of the greatest baseball announcer who ever worked a baseball game. I don’t believe that Vin ever had an interview like this with any Dodger player.I wish Vin was doing ballgames in New York.

17. fredverd - Feb 14, 2013 at 9:56 AM

…Could almost care about a Piazza/Scully (or Piazza/Clemons, Piazza/fill-in-the-blank) war. It’s his story, so I am reminding myself something I learned in the study of literature…”the villain is the hero when he tells the story…” So don’t get yourself agitated – consider the source.

18. purnellmeagrejr - Feb 14, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Phil Rizzuto was re3sponsible for the failures of Lamarrr Hoyt, Carl Pavano Kevin Brown and Ed Whitson

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5237)
  2. M. Kemp (3113)
  3. W. Middlebrooks (2809)
  4. C. McGehee (2802)