Feb 13, 2013, 11:51 AM EST
Juan Cruz signed a minor-league deal with the Phillies last month, but failed to report to camp yesterday because of what general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. called a “miscommunication issue.”
It must have been one helluva miscommunication, because Todd Zolecki of MLB.com reports that Cruz and the Phillies have agreed to “mutually rescind” his contract–which was never officially signed because he didn’t take a physical exam–and the 34-year-old reliever is now a free agent again.
Cruz’s deal included an invitation to spring training and an opt-out clause that allowed him to leave the organization if he wasn’t in the majors by June 1, but apparently he was pessimistic about his odds of making the team after the Phillies signed Chad Durbin. Last season the Pirates released Cruz in August despite a 2.78 ERA in 36 innings because he refused an assignment to the minors.
Nov 26, 2014, 11:19 AM EST
Capuano is 36 years old, so finding a guaranteed big-league job for 2015 could be difficult.
Nov 26, 2014, 10:47 AM EST
Drafted in 2012, free agent in 2014.
Nov 26, 2014, 10:30 AM EST
Nov 26, 2014, 10:15 AM EST
Either the Rangers or the Twins had the winning bid.
Nov 26, 2014, 9:44 AM EST
Need some dingers? I know a guy who can get you some dingers, man.
Nov 26, 2014, 9:13 AM EST
So who plays third base?
Nov 26, 2014, 8:00 AM EST
It’s like clockwork. A team signs a big free agent or two and someone argues that baseball is doomed without a salary cap. It’s always baloney, of course.
Nov 25, 2014, 10:12 PM EST
Max Scherzer, a client of Scott Boras, seems comfortable with slow-playing this market. We’ve seen loads of rumors and reports involving the other prominent free agent ace, Jon Lester, but it’s hard to identify which teams are in the running at the moment for Max. The Giants may be one …
Nov 25, 2014, 8:47 PM EST
Via Jeeho Yoo of Seoul’s Yonhap News, right-hander Lucas Harrell and outfielder Jim Adduci both agreed to one-year deals Tuesday in the Korea Baseball Organization — Harrell with the KIA Tigers for $900K and Adduci with the Lotte Giants for $650K.
Nov 25, 2014, 7:51 PM EST
Arizona has been mentioned before as a potential landing spot for Cuban outfielder Yasmany Tomas, but it was never really considered a strong likelihood. Maybe that perception should be changing …
Nov 25, 2014, 6:38 PM EST
The Red Sox have officially introduced Hanley Ramirez and his new four-year, $88 million pact. Juan Francisco was DFA’d in the process.
Nov 25, 2014, 5:40 PM EST
Darvish missed the final six weeks of the season with an elbow injury.
Nov 25, 2014, 5:25 PM EST
Possibly well-intentioned, possibly grandstanding. But it’s hard to see how this is in Congress’ bailiwick.
Nov 25, 2014, 4:46 PM EST
What would happen to Lonnie Chisenhall?
Nov 25, 2014, 3:46 PM EST
Based on what we know at the moment, the Cubs’ offer is the richest one out there.
Nov 25, 2014, 3:15 PM EST
Swarzak was due for a raise to around $1.5 million via arbitration.
Nov 25, 2014, 3:03 PM EST
Technology itself hasn’t changed how reporters do their jobs. Rather reader demand, newly obvious by technology, has done so.
Nov 25, 2014, 1:47 PM EST
Matsuzaka spent the past two seasons with the Mets.
Nov 25, 2014, 1:20 PM EST
Martinez served as Joe Maddon’s right-hand man since 2008.
Nov 25, 2014, 1:00 PM EST
They’ve been linked to Justin Upton and Matt Kemp. But another power bat is a possibility.
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 100
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 62
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 42
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)