Feb 13, 2013, 11:51 AM EDT
Juan Cruz signed a minor-league deal with the Phillies last month, but failed to report to camp yesterday because of what general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. called a “miscommunication issue.”
It must have been one helluva miscommunication, because Todd Zolecki of MLB.com reports that Cruz and the Phillies have agreed to “mutually rescind” his contract–which was never officially signed because he didn’t take a physical exam–and the 34-year-old reliever is now a free agent again.
Cruz’s deal included an invitation to spring training and an opt-out clause that allowed him to leave the organization if he wasn’t in the majors by June 1, but apparently he was pessimistic about his odds of making the team after the Phillies signed Chad Durbin. Last season the Pirates released Cruz in August despite a 2.78 ERA in 36 innings because he refused an assignment to the minors.
Jul 31, 2015, 11:11 AM EDT
Maybe he’ll see Daniel Norris coming the other way in his van?
Jul 31, 2015, 10:39 AM EDT
Milwaukee would receive a starting pitcher prospect in return.
Jul 31, 2015, 9:49 AM EDT
Or, the very least, want the Padres to think they are so as to bring Craig Kimbrel’s price down.
Jul 31, 2015, 9:25 AM EDT
They have the worst ERA in the AL, so any starter would be a nice addition.
Jul 31, 2015, 9:18 AM EDT
Another torn quadriceps muscle for the All-Star left fielder.
Jul 31, 2015, 8:55 AM EDT
I feel like Ken Caminiti has to be involved.
Jul 31, 2015, 8:51 AM EDT
Jay Bruce instead of Carlos Gomez?
Jul 31, 2015, 8:43 AM EDT
He’d be both a 2015 and a future move.
Jul 31, 2015, 8:18 AM EDT
The Yankees bullpen is already a strength. Will it be stronger by 4pm today?
Jul 31, 2015, 7:34 AM EDT
In a night of several walkoffs — including a walkoff walk — Jason Castro had the biggest, helping Houston complete the sweep of the Angels.
Jul 31, 2015, 3:22 AM EDT
It’s fortunate this one didn’t get ugly.
Jul 31, 2015, 2:51 AM EDT
We’re recapping all of the deals as they come down.
Jul 31, 2015, 12:24 AM EDT
Leake has a 3.56 ERA and 90/34 K/BB ratio in 136 2/3 innings over 21 starts this season.
Jul 31, 2015, 12:00 AM EDT
The Astros completed a three-game sweep of the Angels and now hold a two-game lead in the American League West.
Jul 30, 2015, 11:29 PM EDT
Gallardo isn’t going into the trade deadline on a high note, as he has allowed five runs in three straight starts.
Jul 30, 2015, 10:55 PM EDT
The Diamondbacks are trying to make a play for All-Star closer Aroldis Chapman.
Jul 30, 2015, 10:20 PM EDT
It was made possible due to a misplay by Jacoby Ellsbury in center field.
Jul 30, 2015, 9:33 PM EDT
The Brewers traded center fielder Carlos Gomez to the Astros earlier tonight along with right-hander Mike Fiers and they could be close to another deal.
Jul 30, 2015, 9:08 PM EDT
As the Mets try to pick up the pieces after their deal for Carlos Gomez fell apart, they reportedly have an interesting proposal to consider from the Reds.
Jul 30, 2015, 8:40 PM EDT
Morse is owed $8 million next season, but the Dodgers covered it in order to complete Thursday’s 13-player trade with the Marlins and Braves.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 34
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 6
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 30
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 44
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 12
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 73
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)