Quote of the Day: Justin Verlander would love free agency

Feb 13, 2013, 11:02 AM EDT

Detroit Tigers v Oakland Athletics - Game Five Getty Images

There was talk yesterday that Justin Verlander wants to stay a Detroit Tiger for life. I buy that. He has it pretty good there, is well-loved and every indication we’ve ever had suggests that the Tigers would be willing to pay the man what he’s due when he hits free agency following the 2014 season.

That said, he’s not afraid of free agency at all. Indeed, he sounds downright giddy at the prospect. From Jon Morosi’s story, here’s Verlander’s response when asked if he’s curious about hitting the market:

“Absolutely. I think that’d be a blast. If I have two more years like I just had, it would be pretty interesting … You know how competitive I am. It’s kind of fun thinking about having teams battle for you.”

This means very little with specific respect to where Justin Verlander will be playing after 2014. But so too do pronouncements about wanting to remain a Tiger for life, even if Tigers fans will read a lot into the latter.

It’s a business. Always has been, always will be.

1. Chris Fiorentino - Feb 13, 2013 at 11:08 AM

“It’s a business. Always has been, always will be.”

Truer words have never been written.

• El Bravo - Feb 13, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Chris Fiorentino is super awesome.

Meh, you were right.

• Chris Fiorentino - Feb 14, 2013 at 7:59 AM

Pedroooo……I read that Heyward pulled his hamstring getting off the plane in Orlando this morning. He’ll miss the first two weeks of Spring Training.

• El Bravo - Feb 14, 2013 at 11:06 AM

giggity: http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130212&content_id=41563108&notebook_id=41563134&vkey=notebook_atl&c_id=atl

• Chris Fiorentino - Feb 14, 2013 at 11:15 AM

LOL Your outfield is going to be f’ing amazing. Phillies outfield is just brutal.

2. number42is1 - Feb 13, 2013 at 11:08 AM

“Justin Verlander would love free agency”

As would 29 out of 30 teams in MLB

3. beefytrout - Feb 13, 2013 at 11:31 AM

They cut off the rest of the quote. It read: “and just imagine… I bagged Kate Upton now… imagine what I’ll pull when I get my mega-contract!!!”

• chill1184 - Feb 13, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Dear Felix Hernandez

Congrats and thanks for getting that huge mega-deal from Seattle. We can’t wait to get ours.

Signed

Justin Verlander and Clayton Kershaw

• Reflex - Feb 13, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Given the hometown discount Felix gave the M’s, he might have actually harmed thier value. Verlander is unlikely to get more given his age, and Kershaw would have preffered Felix get the $200-220 mil that Felix would have gotten from the open market. Kershaw is younger than Felix, so his percieved value would have been higher…

• sportsdrenched - Feb 13, 2013 at 12:36 PM

I’m calling “Law of Deminishing Returns” on the Kate Upton thing.

• historiophiliac - Feb 13, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Oh, yeah, I’ll bag WAAAAY better chicks — the more expensive ones. I expect an iBarbie when I extend my contract. More money = automatic upgrade Man, my life will have so much meaning when I’m awash in swimsuit models. I really dig hot chicks and the only thing between me and them is my ability to afford them.

/s

• beefytrout - Feb 13, 2013 at 1:23 PM

• historiophiliac - Feb 13, 2013 at 6:21 PM

That was the sarcasm font, you doofs!

4. sdelmonte - Feb 13, 2013 at 11:36 AM

The Yankees are saved!!

5. detroitr1 - Feb 13, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Last season, Verlander expressed a similar sentiment to a Detroit-area reporter about how he was always curious about what it would be like pitching for New York…if anyone is wondering about what team he is thinking of…

6. cackalackyank - Feb 13, 2013 at 12:52 PM

What he actually said was “Hey Tigers ownership, that big fat check you want to write me for the rest of my career…think of the biggest number you would have put on it…now add 20% and call my agent.”

7. darthicarus - Feb 13, 2013 at 1:41 PM

This article is ruining my day off.

8. kpow55 - Feb 13, 2013 at 3:01 PM

He could come be the 2nd best pitcher in the rotation on the Angels.

• detroitr1 - Feb 13, 2013 at 4:32 PM

2nd best in Angles rotation? Debatable. First in class, no contest.

9. losanginsight - Feb 13, 2013 at 4:59 PM

A 1 2 3 of Kkkkkershaw, Zack, and Justin will look good in LA…and No, Anaheim is not LA. Thanks King Felix

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5335)