Robin Ventura turned down contract extension from White Sox

Feb 13, 2013, 3:45 PM EDT

Chicago White Sox v Cleveland Indians Getty Images

Robin Ventura’s first season as a manager at any level was a success, as the White Sox won 85 games and he generally received positive reviews, which is why Chicago offered him a one-year contract extension immediately after the season ended.

And he turned it down, Ventura admitted to reporters today:

It’s flattering and nice and everything, but in talking to [general manager] Rick [Hahn], we have two more years to do this. We have good communication and everything is fine. I think this is my contract. I was the same way as a player. I’ll worry about it at the end of it.

For them, I want them to have two years to think I’m still the right guy for the job for that to continue to go. It wasn’t anything that was a big deal, so I’m not holding out for anything or disappointed in not wanting to stay here. I think at the end of that, that’s when you talk about it. I’m not worried about trying to extend anything right now. I’m more worried with this team in this spring training than I’m worried about 2015.

As he mentions, there are still two years remaining on Ventura’s original contract signed last offseason. Ventura made almost $70 million as a player, so presumably he’s not hurting for money, and it’s possible he’s simply unsure about how long he’ll want to manage.

Ventura was hired after the White Sox fired Ozzie Guillen with one year and $2 million remaining on his contract, so extending a contract by one year hardly guarantees anything anyway.

1. richyballgame - Feb 13, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Very humble,it’s obvious Robin takes his work very seriously.
    Looking forward to the AL Central race this year,promises to be a good one.

2. tcostant - Feb 13, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Love guys who believe in themselves. I think he figures next year he’ll be worth even more.

3. agelardi - Feb 13, 2013 at 4:42 PM

In a world where World Series winning managers get fired, I would have taken the extra year. I take this to mean he’s not so sure about wanting to be with the Sox for that extra year.

4. jlovenotjlo - Feb 13, 2013 at 4:54 PM

This is a little unusual, but makes sense in Ventura’s case. I think he’s a pretty dedicated family man (before the sox he was coaching his son’s team i believe), and is still deciding if the MLB managers’ lifestyle is for him. No sense in obligating himself to another year when he has two years left anyway. That way, he can just step down with no strings attached. If he finds after this season that this is something he’d like to continue doing, and the white sox don’t blow the central lead again, he’ll be very happy he waited for that more lucrative 2-3 year extension.

5. seahawks80 - Feb 13, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Smart man, probably regrets the length of his current contract.

6. ponchorides - Feb 13, 2013 at 6:55 PM

FYI Ozzie wasn’t fired. He quit/was released to take Marlins job. Then got fired. BTW I haven’t heard anything about Ozzie. You?

7. tannethrill - Feb 14, 2013 at 8:10 AM

He knows he can go work whenever he wants. He’s a coach now so it’s not like he’s in fear of injury.

If you’re financially set then it’s the right move especially if it’s not his dream job.

8. DelawarePhilliesFan - Feb 14, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Maybe he is waiting to see if the Rangers job open up next year

Three legends off to Cooperstown