Chris Perez is still no fan of Manny Acta

Feb 14, 2013, 11:33 AM EDT

chris perez gray getty Getty Images

I guess the first week of camp is “air your beefs with people who are no longer on your team” week. Indians closer Chris Perez on ex-manager Manny Acta:

“I was wondering where we were going,” Perez said. “Stuff wasn’t getting better with Manny as our manager. I didn’t see the light at the end of the tunnel. He’s very stubborn and he doesn’t really use input well, so I was getting frustrated. I thought, ‘If we have the same guy next year, it’s going to be the same stuff.’

I eagerly await Manny Acta’s diss track.

1. deathmonkey41 - Feb 14, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Did he throw up after he said it?

2. unclemosesgreen - Feb 14, 2013 at 11:41 AM

So much beef lately, Bauer and Montero, Francona’s book, Mike Piazza beefing with Vin Scully in his book and then dissing a bunch of old time Mets on the Daily Show. Now this. Things are getting all Biggie and Tupac in Florida and Arizona.

Oooh – maybe this can be baseball’s version of East Coast v. West Coast – Gold Coast vs. No Coast.

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 14, 2013 at 1:10 PM

It’s W’s fault! Tell them Gator!

• Old Gator - Feb 14, 2013 at 1:31 PM

So far as I can tell neither Perez nor Acta a re responsible for slaughtering a quarter of a million innocent civilians (the conservative estimate from Red Cross treatment figures) based on a welter of lies and secret deals with big corporations. When we know that they participated in such dealings, it’ll be their faults too.

Plus, I have not way to gauge whether Acta nor Perez are as stupid as W.

3. Old Gator - Feb 14, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Whatever the merits of his pique, Chris Perez isn’t alone. I’ve searched the web in vain for any trace of a Manny Acta fan club.

Uh-uh.

4. APBA Guy - Feb 14, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Being able to deal with employee input is fundamental to successful leadership. Thomas Ricks’ book “The Generals” talks about the culture in the Army that George Marshall instilled with respect to leadership, and among the fundamental principals was the acceptance of respectful disagreement. More fundamentally, my business prof at the Univ of Chicago had a short version “The class is a genius”, meaning that a group of minds can typically come up with better solutions than an individual. If Acta was discouraging team input in a game that, at the professional level, is more mental than physical, it would definitely disadvantage the Indians vs teams who were more open to player input.

5. Kevin Gillman - Feb 14, 2013 at 1:36 PM

I don’t blame Chris though. Manny never EVER backed his players up in calls against them for the umpire. Last season in New York, Jack Hanahan hit a popup into the stands that Dewayne Wise was close to, and the umpire called him out. Replays showed he wasn’t even close to the ball, and there was Manny, in the dugout chomping on his gum. Then next inning, Jack Hanahan gets thrown out of the game, and Manny never defended him. The Indians were swept in a 3 game series, and I think that was the beginning of the end in his tenure.

6. digbysellers - Feb 14, 2013 at 1:45 PM

So what you’re all saying is that Manny never really Acta like a real manager eh?

7. paperlions - Feb 14, 2013 at 1:53 PM

“Stuff wasn’t getting better with Cleveland fans in the stands. I didn’t see the light at the end of the tunnel. They are very stubborn and don’t really support losing teams well, so I was getting frustrated. I thought, ‘If we have the same fans next year, it’s going to be the same stuff.” — Chris Perez

This is the same jackwagon that bitched about Cleveland fans booing the team when they sucked last year, saying that they weren’t supportive enough. Did he expect cheering for losing baseball? Does he expect fans in the a depressed economy that has seen much of its employment base flee the city and sky high foreclosure rates to spend their money on seeing baseball games instead of their mortgages?

In short, Perez is an ass.

• kiwicricket - Feb 14, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Spot on. It’s bordering on Kenny Power-isms.

8. 24missed - Feb 14, 2013 at 2:01 PM

When is it the ‘Airing of the Grievances’ for the guys on this year’s roster?

Good luck, Francona!

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (4996)