Daisuke Matsuzaka wants to pitch against the Red Sox. Figure they’re cool with that.

Feb 14, 2013, 3:02 PM EDT

I think the proper word for what I did when I read this is “chortle.”

“Oh, no! Don’t throw us into that brier patch!” exclaimed the Red Sox hitters. “Whatever you do, don’t make us face Daisuke Matsuzaka!”

In all seriousness, I can see why he wants revenge. I mean, those dirty Red Sox had the nerve to give him over $50 million in exchange for one good season, one OK season and four seasons of pure crap and injury. I mean, the nerve of those guys. They really got something coming here.

1. cur68 - Feb 14, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Now THIS I’m looking forward to.

I got no love for Dice-K. No real hate, either. He’s maddeningly slow on the mound and he does not play up to what he was being paid, but that’s a lot of guys in that boat with him. The BoSox on the other had…divisional rivals of The Mighty Beav.

C’mon Dice-K…

• proudlycanadian - Feb 14, 2013 at 4:33 PM

The Red Sox hitters will fall asleep between pitches. Consequently, he will throw a perfect game against them.

2. malvord13 - Feb 14, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Please pitch against us. We would be more then happy!

• 18thstreet - Feb 14, 2013 at 4:33 PM

I remember watching John Wasdin come into a game (for the Orioles) against the Sox and I was screaming, “YOU OWE US!”

3. digbysellers - Feb 14, 2013 at 3:21 PM

I love a good chortle…the guffaw’s undervalued cousin.

4. number42is1 - Feb 14, 2013 at 3:26 PM

If this were a facebook status i think that each member of the Red Sox team would “like” it

5. stpatsbaby - Feb 14, 2013 at 3:32 PM

This must be Japanese Humor. We’ll be waiting.

6. jibzek - Feb 14, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Let’s see…
    High 8 era.
    Walks every guy he faces by nibbling the corners.
    Always injured
    Bigger gut than Lackey or Beckett
    Junk baller.

I think the Sox are going to request to be in AL Central for this golden opportunity.

• takemytalentstosoutheuclid - Feb 14, 2013 at 4:15 PM

and they would finish third in that division, too…

• unclemosesgreen - Feb 14, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Third? You think the Red Sox are good enough to be third in the AL East? Bless you sir, bless you. I and the rest of the Nation will take that.

7. thebadguyswon - Feb 14, 2013 at 4:19 PM

Whatever. Another overhyped Japanese windbag. These guys are rarely as good as the hype. And its funny how the Japanese imports that end up good – are the ones that aren’t hyped like Kuroda, Aoki, etc.

The only mega-hyped Japanese stars that turned out as good as advertised were Hideki Matsui and Ichiro. Darvish isn’t as good as advertised, but the jury is still out as he’s pretty good as is.

Dice K was a collosal bust. Complete with the fake gimmick pitch and everything. Right up there with Hideki Irabu.

• dan1111 - Feb 15, 2013 at 6:02 AM

It’s not surprising at all that some Japanese players make it big in the majors, while others don’t. The NPB is a lower-level league, and Japanese players have been as successful as any other group when moving up to the majors. A few stars, a number of solid players, and quite a few busts are exactly what one would expect.

The only thing that sets Japan apart is the posting system, which means that sometimes teams pay much more to acquire Japanese players than other international signings. This increases expectations and increases the amount that people notice a player’s failure. But this is not the fault of the players themselves.

8. poprox13 - Feb 14, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Well at least that will assure the Red Sox of a win!

9. Kevin Gillman - Feb 14, 2013 at 4:36 PM

I’ll tell you what Red Sox fans, you guys can face Dice-K, if Indians get to face John Lackey. With Indians outfield defense now, I’d take our chances.

• offseasonblues - Feb 14, 2013 at 8:05 PM

It’ll be bitter sweet beating Tito.

• Kevin Gillman - Feb 14, 2013 at 10:30 PM

Sox management threw him under the bus, so I am sure he feels the same way.

10. jayquintana - Feb 14, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Since it’s almost a guaranteed Boston win, you’d hope the Fenway fans greet Dice-K with huge cheers.

11. pellypell - Feb 14, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Walka walka walka

12. Caught Looking - Feb 14, 2013 at 9:51 PM

It was one OK season and FIVE seasons of pure crap and injury.

• dan1111 - Feb 15, 2013 at 6:09 AM

Well, this seems pretty obvious:

2007: 15-23, 4.40 ERA, 108 ERA+, 32 starts, 204 innings – OK season.

2008: 18-3, 2.90 ERA, 160 ERA+, 29 starts, 167 innings – Good season.

Maybe 2008 was lucky and unsustainable, but the good results still count. And sure, he could have piched more innings, but given that his ERA was third-best among AL starters, it’s hard to say that it wasn’t a good season for that reason.

• dan1111 - Feb 15, 2013 at 6:10 AM

Oops, his record in 2007 was supposed to be 15-12! It would be bad if he even lost some of the games that he won.

13. mrlaloosh - Feb 14, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Boston gave this clown $50,000,000? I think he’s already beaten the BoSox bad enough. Idiots.

14. girardisbraces - Feb 15, 2013 at 10:26 AM

What a crock. I loved watching him pitch most of the time because the Yankees would tee off on him. Oooh, gyro ball. The great Japanese Hope.

15. hitdog042 - Feb 15, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Lackey will have a good year. Ill take that matchup any day. Lackey would be the 2 on the Indian staff.

Three legends off to Cooperstown