Jim Leyland is “totally shocked” and “broken-hearted” that Jose Valverde doesn’t have a job

Feb 14, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT

Jose Valverde Getty Images

Jose Valverde remains unsigned and except for a report linking him to the Marlins that was immediately shot down as being fueled by agent Scott Boras there’s been little even linking him to teams.

That’s surprising, because while Valverde’s performance has clearly declined he did save 35 games last season and a league-leading 49 games in 2011. Once upon a time those save totals alone would have been enough to keep him employed, but the closer role has (rightfully) lost some of its mystique.

Meanwhile, the Tigers haven’t decided who’ll replace him as closer and when asked about Valverde’s status manager Jim Leyland told Jayson Stark of ESPN.com that he’s “broken-hearted” and “totally shocked” to see him unsigned in mid-February.

Of course, presumably Tigers general manager Dave Dombrowski consulted with Leyland before deciding not to re-sign Valverde and despite an uncertain ninth-inning situation the manager isn’t broken-hearted enough to make a late push to bring back Valverde.

1. unclemosesgreen - Feb 14, 2013 at 10:54 AM

“the manager isn’t broken-hearted enough to make a late push to bring back Valverde.”

Couldn’t have said it better myself.

• Old Gator - Feb 14, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Sure you could have. I’ve seen you say it better myself. Don’t be so modest, Unk.

• unclemosesgreen - Feb 14, 2013 at 11:01 AM

My only modesty is false modesty – I just occasionally like to stop throwing bombs for long enough to give out an attaboy and keep ‘em guessing.

• historiophiliac - Feb 14, 2013 at 11:09 AM

I totally disagree. I bet Leyland has asked for him back & he got a “NO!” from above. Stay strong, DD.

2. pmcenroe - Feb 14, 2013 at 11:22 AM

I feel a little bad for him but not too bad. His routine after every strikeout is pretty grating so I can’t say I didn’t enjoy his postseason performance a little bit. The game has a way of humbling you

3. beelza - Feb 14, 2013 at 11:36 AM

University Package Liquor store is totally shocked and broken-hearted. I bought more booze there and drank more booze watching Valverde close, than any bachelor party I’ve ever attended.

4. cur68 - Feb 14, 2013 at 11:56 AM

I’m going to miss Jose as a Tiger. He was that Fatal Flaw that every good team seems to have.

Its like when you’re watching a really good bank heist movie. You’re seeing a well crafted team of specialists and they all work well together. But there’s always one guy on the team. He’s the kryptonite. Maybe he has weak bowels. Perhaps he drinks. Maybe his girlfriend is a blabbermouth. Whatever. If they just dealt with that guy, they’d clean out the vault and get away with it. The movie is better for having that guy, because he adds drama.

Jose Valverde added drama to The Tigers. The Tigers without him are still pretty entertaining: they have one of the all time great managers for blowing up at an Ump, after all. But I shall miss Jose Valverde coming out of the bullpen in the post season. I shall miss watching him assplode the save.

It’d be boring with Valverde on any other team BUT The Tigers: Watching Leyland’s nicotine habit get the better of him every time he had to call in Valverde was half the fun.

• historiophiliac - Feb 14, 2013 at 12:20 PM

I mean this in the nicest Valentine way: bite me.

• cur68 - Feb 14, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Just expressing my admiration for your rooting interests, ‘phiiliac 8)

After Smokey Jim retires, I hope The Tigers hire Ozzie Guillen. The drama. The swear words. The High Comedy. Yeah, baby!

• historiophiliac - Feb 14, 2013 at 1:54 PM

I’m going to ignore you and eat my little package of candy a nice young man in the office brought me. lalalalalala

5. ken49ers - Feb 14, 2013 at 12:38 PM

I’m still shocked Mumbles even has a job.

6. Minoring In Baseball - Feb 14, 2013 at 11:58 PM

I’m actually surprised, too, that somebody hasn’t taken a chance on him. I’m sure Boras is trying to get him an unreasonable amount, though, as he always does. As bad as he was at times last season, his 2011 was amazing.

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3501)