Feb 14, 2013, 4:58 PM EDT
Astros manager Bo Porter has deemed that no Astros jerseys shall have names on the back during spring training. Why?
“It was explained to the players exactly why,” Porter said. “The name on the front [is what] matters, and we have 25 guys that will earn the right to have the name put on the back, and that will be the 25 men that will make this ballclub. It definitely was done by design. It’s a message sent to them that it’s all about the Astros.”
Seems a little rah-rah-rah for professionals. Something I’d expect to see on a high school football team before I’d see it in the big leagues. But hey, his team and the Astros have nothing to lose.
Also not a big fan of the explanation implying that the 25 men who make the team have done something of greater honor. This is a team that is going to cycle through, like, 45 players on the big league roster this year, I reckon. Most of these guys are gonna have some role to play.
- The Lester trade is a win-win 0
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 78
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 35
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 90
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (113)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)