Feb 14, 2013, 9:14 AM EDT
Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that the Cardinals will announce contract extensions for manager Mike Matheny and GM John Mozeliak today.
Mozeliak’s contract was through 2013, but will be extended. Matheny had a team option for 2014 and it will be exercised. No word yet on whether either are getting pay increases or years beyond 2014. UPDATE: Jennifer Langosch of MLB.com reports that Mozeliak’s extension will take him through 2016.
Matheny, despite no managerial experience, did a fine job last year. He showed some inexperience at times but everyone is going to suffer in comparison to Tony La Russa, and Matheny didn’t suffer that much. He seems to have the confidence of his players, the front office and the fan base, and that’s what really matters. For Mozeliak’s part, all he has done is keep the Cardinals competitive while overseeing a minor league system which was just ranked number one by Keith Law.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 77
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 150
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 20
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 51
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (163)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)