Feb 14, 2013, 9:14 AM EDT
Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that the Cardinals will announce contract extensions for manager Mike Matheny and GM John Mozeliak today.
Mozeliak’s contract was through 2013, but will be extended. Matheny had a team option for 2014 and it will be exercised. No word yet on whether either are getting pay increases or years beyond 2014. UPDATE: Jennifer Langosch of MLB.com reports that Mozeliak’s extension will take him through 2016.
Matheny, despite no managerial experience, did a fine job last year. He showed some inexperience at times but everyone is going to suffer in comparison to Tony La Russa, and Matheny didn’t suffer that much. He seems to have the confidence of his players, the front office and the fan base, and that’s what really matters. For Mozeliak’s part, all he has done is keep the Cardinals competitive while overseeing a minor league system which was just ranked number one by Keith Law.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 8
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 22
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 34
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)