Feb 14, 2013, 9:14 AM EDT
Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that the Cardinals will announce contract extensions for manager Mike Matheny and GM John Mozeliak today.
Mozeliak’s contract was through 2013, but will be extended. Matheny had a team option for 2014 and it will be exercised. No word yet on whether either are getting pay increases or years beyond 2014. UPDATE: Jennifer Langosch of MLB.com reports that Mozeliak’s extension will take him through 2016.
Matheny, despite no managerial experience, did a fine job last year. He showed some inexperience at times but everyone is going to suffer in comparison to Tony La Russa, and Matheny didn’t suffer that much. He seems to have the confidence of his players, the front office and the fan base, and that’s what really matters. For Mozeliak’s part, all he has done is keep the Cardinals competitive while overseeing a minor league system which was just ranked number one by Keith Law.
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 72
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47