Feb 14, 2013, 10:30 AM EST
… it’s always been a mixture of good with the bad with Holland, who has also parlayed his goofball personality into some extra time in front of the cameras. Whether he’s a master self-promoter or just a kind-hearted soul who won’t refuse a request for his time, Holland has been told to try toning down the act and to put more attention on baseball.
Holland says he’ll be doing fewer interviews, goofy skits and spending less time on Twitter. Which is kind of sad because he’s one of the few ballplayers who seem like a lot of fun in that regard.
Of course goofing off doesn’t pay the bills. Pitching does. And even if there isn’t a connection between his pitching and his media profile, if the former goes south, people won’t hesitate to blame the latter, because that’s just how people are.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 322
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (320)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)