The Rangers told Derek Holland to tone things down

Feb 14, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT

Derek Holland Reuters Reuters

As far as his media profile goes, that is:

… it’s always been a mixture of good with the bad with Holland, who has also parlayed his goofball personality into some extra time in front of the cameras. Whether he’s a master self-promoter or just a kind-hearted soul who won’t refuse a request for his time, Holland has been told to try toning down the act and to put more attention on baseball.

Holland says he’ll be doing fewer interviews, goofy skits and spending less time on Twitter. Which is kind of sad because he’s one of the few ballplayers who seem like a lot of fun in that regard.

Of course goofing off doesn’t pay the bills. Pitching does. And even if there isn’t a connection between his pitching and his media profile, if the former goes south, people won’t hesitate to blame the latter, because that’s just how people are.

1. deathmonkey41 - Feb 14, 2013 at 10:37 AM

I blame heavy metal music.

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 14, 2013 at 1:04 PM

I blame George W. Bush. He is personally responsible for every bad thing in the world.

• Old Gator - Feb 14, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Nope, just most of them – including flatulence. If you ever listened to him try to speak, you know that he must be the primary source of it.

• purnellmeagrejr - Feb 14, 2013 at 4:20 PM

puh-leeeze; that wasn’t funny a year ago.Afetr reading it today and about 10,000 other times it is definitely unfunny. But, if it makes you feel clever, then you are easily pleased – not really a bad way to be.It would be bettter if you could come up with some orignal material; perhaps- a yarn about ‘the army of hoduran spider monkeys President Obama has trained to steal machine guns by gopiong down their chimney on CHristmas Eve.. Yep, that’s RIght OMA Obama’s Monkey Army. Beware! Beware!! Beware!!!!!

• kiwicricket - Feb 14, 2013 at 4:39 PM

No. He is just your typical simp. war criminal.
        I blame Martha Stewart.

2. mudhead123 - Feb 14, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Good. The only thing funny about him is hi s 15yr old stache

• Old Gator - Feb 14, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Gol-lee Mudhead, where’s your school spirit?

3. bsbiz - Feb 14, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Easy solution for Derek Holland: Blame it on A-Rod.

4. unclemosesgreen - Feb 14, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Ridiculously heavy-handed. The fun police are always out trying to ruin anything hilarious. That’s Texas in a nutshell – if you don’t understand it, shoot it. If someone steps out of line, bully him.

The guy hasn’t hurt anyone, he hasn’t broken any laws, and he shows up and does his job. If that’s not good enough for you as a boss, you need to look in the mirror.

What would these hidebound authoritarian fantasists make of Rob Gronkowski, I wonder.

• Old Gator - Feb 14, 2013 at 11:23 AM

What do you expect from an organization whose leader pals around with a mass murdering war criminal? Thank Buddha the boss has gotten old – who knows what he’d do to poor Holland if he were still in his prime?

• wpjohnson - Feb 14, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Old Gator, it is one thing to be a fool but you really don’t need to advertiae it.

• Old Gator - Feb 14, 2013 at 12:16 PM

You mean Saddam really did have all them thar Wilpoons of mass destruction?

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 14, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Wow Gator. You are already hitting the umbrella drinks? I mean…I know you are directly/indirectly employeed by the Gov’t and therefore must be blindly obeying of all things Gov’t related but give the people paying your bills their monies worth.
        And drinking umbrella drinks prior to noon isn’t cutting it.

• Old Gator - Feb 14, 2013 at 1:35 PM

So I guess you think Saddam did have those weapons of mass distraction too, eh? Got any lead on where they are?

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 14, 2013 at 3:05 PM

WMD? This doesn’t concern me. In my opinion…the genocide against Kurds…the Kuwaiti invasion…among many other things was enough. I am not hung up on WMD in the least.

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 14, 2013 at 4:04 PM

“The only thing I get from the government is my social security check – which is my own money, anyway.”

I apologize Gator. I truly do. For some reason…I though you worked for one of the State Universities and/or Colleges. Sorry my Man!

• kiwicricket - Feb 14, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Plenty of horrible unimaginable stuff happening around the planet as we speak, but little is done because of its relative relevance. How’s the locals(and the rest of the planets for that matter) opinion of the US’s invasion of Iraq these days? It’s quite obviously a farce, but schlepped onto your TV’s as your noble troops trying to protect your ‘right’ and keep your country ‘safe’. From what exactly?

What about the locals of Iraq? Think they are chuffed with being invaded, having their rights dictated to by another countries military?

So the US invaded Afghanistan to find a lurid little cell of terrorists? So Alexander the Great, Genghis Khan, the British in the 19th century and the Soviet’s in the 80’s were all after a terrorist as well?

Time to turn the Military infomercials off your television and learn what actually goes on.

• Mike Luna - Feb 14, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Boy, you’ve sure got us Texans pegged. We’re just a bunch’a gun-totin’ bullies, ridin’ inta town ta ruin all the fun!

As far as Holland showing up and doing his job, 2012 was a big step back for him. He was a just okay pitcher and he’s expected to be a lot more than that.

His dip in performance may have nothing to do with his wackiness, but I think it’d do him well to spend less time worrying about being “the funny one” and more time worrying about being consistent on the mound.

• Old Gator - Feb 14, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Yeah, Texas is ackcherley a pretty nifty place. I don’t understand why the ideologically constipated always leave out mention of the barbecue.

• unclemosesgreen - Feb 14, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Derek Holland did not even take a baby step backwards last year, he had a few injury problems and gave up more HR’s. That is all.

You show me any positive correlation between “having less fun” and playing better, and maybe I’ll bite. Personally, I’d bet the opposite is true, unless the “fun” in question is self-destructive in nature.

They just don’t like what he’s doing because they don’t like it, and are leaning on him for no possible baseball purpose whatsoever. They are using his perceived drop in performance to bully him. Period.

• gottundteufel - Feb 14, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Good grief. Are you really conflating the actions of management with the ethos, or what you think is the ethos, of an entire state? For what it’s worth, the Patriots last summer asked Gronkowski – with a scholarly demeanor, no doubt, and sophisticated words – to tone down his Gronkiness. By your formula, the otherwise well-educated and perfectly enlightened people of Massachusetts would share equally in the blame for such a soul-sucking request. The rest of us see it the way it is: The poobahs of a team that happens to be located in one of the 50 American states asked one of their players, in whom they’ve invested millions, to stop acting like a clown.

But it’s always the same. Something happens in Cali or Mass or New York, people blame the person. Something happens in Texas, people blame the state. Accordingly, when I clicked the link, I knew that some idiot would pull the same crap out of his mental bunghole. Congratulations. You are that idiot.

• Old Gator - Feb 14, 2013 at 1:39 PM

If the “ethos” produced Rick Perry, I think there must also be some residual slack in the ethos that could also produce a repressive environment in the Rangers front orifice. I refuse to believe that 26 million people could have used up all the neofascism in their souls on one imbecile governor.

And again: kudos on the great barbecue and the cowboy mystique.

• unclemosesgreen - Feb 14, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Yes, Texas is a shining progressive beacon for the whole world to be awed and inspired by. Executing Mexican nationals and an innocent father whose daughters died in a tragic fire is something to be proud of. 253 executions under Rick Perry alone is also something to brag on.

Texas’ record on LGBT human rights issues is also to be admired. By Nazis.

Rick Perry, as the elected idiotic people’s representative, did you proud in the primaries. Your fake resident the W. was also a card-carrying Mensa member.

Texans’ illusions of secession are also heartwarming. Maybe if you acted less like a bunch of crayon-eaters you’d get more respect.

• Mike Luna - Feb 14, 2013 at 2:44 PM

You sure are a smart feller.

Not only do you know that Derek Holland hamming it up for the media definitely had nothing to do with his being less effective, but you also seem to know exactly why the Rangers told him to cut it out. (‘Cause they’re a bunch of big ol’ meany heads!)

What you forgot to mention was his ERA, which jumped from 3.95 to 4.67. That’s the worst since his rookie campaign.

The guy needs to find consistency and whatever he’s doing now isn’t making that happen. So maybe focusing a bit more between February and November wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world.

• unclemosesgreen - Feb 14, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Congratulations – you’re the first scientist to make the connection between media appearances and a shoulder injury. And ERA is a great stat to cherry pick – it’s almost as useless as batting average. I already id’d his problem – too many HR’s. 10 more in 15 fewer innings. WHIP was lower, K & BB similar.

He didn’t take a step back, and your false narrative doesn’t hold any water.

He battled through and finished with a stronger post-all star game performance, with #’s in line with his breakthrough 2011 season.

• Mike Luna - Feb 14, 2013 at 4:17 PM

I was willing to at least indulge you until you brought up Nazis. Now I’m afraid you’ve lost me.

Good job, though. Good effort.

5. chacochicken - Feb 14, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Finally, I was waiting for someone to give a shit about Derek Holland’s wackiness. I’ll sleep so good tonight.

• historiophiliac - Feb 14, 2013 at 11:30 AM

If only he had Wilson’s beard. Everyone would be all over the wackiness.

• Old Gator - Feb 14, 2013 at 11:51 AM

He does have Wilson’s beard, but he uses the razor of invisibility+2 on it. However, rumors that he had the Hanster’s accursed .342 amulet in his safe deposit box last season are not likely to be accurate.

• Old Gator - Feb 14, 2013 at 11:52 AM

PS – that’s the razor of invisibility +2, not Occam’s razor of invisibility +2. People confuse them half the time.

A's, Tigers big winners at trade deadline