Feb 14, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT
UPDATE: Bauer explained that the song is a response to criticism he’s received on Twitter, which … well, it’s not nearly as interesting as the other possibility and actually kind of sad.
Earlier this week Miguel Montero criticized Trevor Bauer by saying, among other things, “he never wanted to listen” when they were a battery with the Diamondbacks. Bauer took the high road by not commenting and actually came out of the situation looking better than Montero, at least to me.
However, today Bauer released a new rap song called “You Don’t Know Me” with some lyrics–for instance, referencing someone who “hides behind a mask to facilitate a task”–that could easily be heard as directed toward Montero.
Apparently the song was actually recorded in December, so it’s definitely not a quickly produced response to Montero’s comments this week, but that doesn’t preclude it from being about Montero considering their poor relationship obviously dates back to last season. And either way, it’s still Trevor Bauer rapping.
You can listen to the song via the player below, although even as someone who likes rap music a lot I would very much not recommend it:
Athletes: Reminding everyone that rapping is very hard to do well since Shaquille O’Neal.
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 4
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 21
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 10
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 79
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 89
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (89)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)