Feb 14, 2013, 11:19 AM EST
UPDATE: Bauer explained that the song is a response to criticism he’s received on Twitter, which … well, it’s not nearly as interesting as the other possibility and actually kind of sad.
Earlier this week Miguel Montero criticized Trevor Bauer by saying, among other things, “he never wanted to listen” when they were a battery with the Diamondbacks. Bauer took the high road by not commenting and actually came out of the situation looking better than Montero, at least to me.
However, today Bauer released a new rap song called “You Don’t Know Me” with some lyrics–for instance, referencing someone who “hides behind a mask to facilitate a task”–that could easily be heard as directed toward Montero.
Apparently the song was actually recorded in December, so it’s definitely not a quickly produced response to Montero’s comments this week, but that doesn’t preclude it from being about Montero considering their poor relationship obviously dates back to last season. And either way, it’s still Trevor Bauer rapping.
You can listen to the song via the player below, although even as someone who likes rap music a lot I would very much not recommend it:
Athletes: Reminding everyone that rapping is very hard to do well since Shaquille O’Neal.
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 40
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)