Feb 14, 2013, 11:19 AM EST
UPDATE: Bauer explained that the song is a response to criticism he’s received on Twitter, which … well, it’s not nearly as interesting as the other possibility and actually kind of sad.
Earlier this week Miguel Montero criticized Trevor Bauer by saying, among other things, “he never wanted to listen” when they were a battery with the Diamondbacks. Bauer took the high road by not commenting and actually came out of the situation looking better than Montero, at least to me.
However, today Bauer released a new rap song called “You Don’t Know Me” with some lyrics–for instance, referencing someone who “hides behind a mask to facilitate a task”–that could easily be heard as directed toward Montero.
Apparently the song was actually recorded in December, so it’s definitely not a quickly produced response to Montero’s comments this week, but that doesn’t preclude it from being about Montero considering their poor relationship obviously dates back to last season. And either way, it’s still Trevor Bauer rapping.
You can listen to the song via the player below, although even as someone who likes rap music a lot I would very much not recommend it:
Athletes: Reminding everyone that rapping is very hard to do well since Shaquille O’Neal.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 77
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 45
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 26
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)