Trevor Bauer has a new rap song about Twitter haters

Feb 14, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT

Trevor Bauer, Miguel Montero AP

UPDATE: Bauer explained that the song is a response to criticism he’s received on Twitter, which … well, it’s not nearly as interesting as the other possibility and actually kind of sad.

==========

Earlier this week Miguel Montero criticized Trevor Bauer by saying, among other things, “he never wanted to listen” when they were a battery with the Diamondbacks. Bauer took the high road by not commenting and actually came out of the situation looking better than Montero, at least to me.

However, today Bauer released a new rap song called “You Don’t Know Me” with some lyrics–for instance, referencing someone who “hides behind a mask to facilitate a task”–that could easily be heard as directed toward Montero.

Apparently the song was actually recorded in December, so it’s definitely not a quickly produced response to Montero’s comments this week, but that doesn’t preclude it from being about Montero considering their poor relationship obviously dates back to last season. And either way, it’s still Trevor Bauer rapping.

You can listen to the song via the player below, although even as someone who likes rap music a lot I would very much not recommend it:

Athletes: Reminding everyone that rapping is very hard to do well since Shaquille O’Neal.

1. braddavery - Feb 14, 2013 at 11:27 AM

This is one of the worst things I have ever heard. He sounds like a Muppet. It’s freaking TERRIBLE.

• Old Gator - Feb 14, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Gowachin guilty!

• captainwisdom8888 - Feb 14, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Weird AL?

2. tfbuckfutter - Feb 14, 2013 at 11:30 AM

I want to thank all the men and women fighting in Iraq who are defending Trevor Bauer’s right to be an awful rapper.

• Old Gator - Feb 14, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Oh, I think that, with a bit of reflection, we can find more worthwhile things to thank them for.

• kiwicricket - Feb 14, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Illegally and immorally invading an innocent country and murdering it’s locals for the express purpose of political and financial gain has nothing to do with any of your ‘rights’.

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 14, 2013 at 3:57 PM

If it was for the express purpose of financial gain we screwed the proverbial pooch.
        Gas is damn near $4.00 a gallon.

• skids003 - Feb 14, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Actually, we were trying to get Terrorist number One, which we eventaully did.

• historiophiliac - Feb 14, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Fight the good fight, kiwi!

• Old Gator - Feb 14, 2013 at 5:30 PM

Yeah, but only as much of an idiot as Bush would try to get him by invading the wrong country.

• tfbuckfutter - Feb 14, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Sadly, I’m not sure many of those thumbs up are from people who realize I am mocking Trevor’s understanding of how rights are defended.

Sincerely respect the military for all they do….but defending American’s freedom of speech isn’t one of those things.

Unless we’re talking about soldiers from the late 1700s.

3. pilonflats - Feb 14, 2013 at 11:31 AM

wow, that cant be real

4. unclemosesgreen - Feb 14, 2013 at 11:36 AM

I’ll see your Shaquille O’Neal and raise you a Super Bowl Shuffle.

Trevor Bauer is trying to channel Slim Shady, and the results are unforgettable. I mean, unforgiveable.

Lots of young people with money make rap cuts, because there’s always a producer ready to their take dumbass, no-chance money and then mail it in for a little while. The only downside for the producer is the little trickle of blood from their ears that pools up in the headphones.

• Old Gator - Feb 14, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Did you know that Darryl Strawberry made a rap album once? It’s an insidious process, and this is where it has brought us. May the ever-benevolent Buddha keep this from screwing up our collective karma.

• unclemosesgreen - Feb 14, 2013 at 12:20 PM

Sadly, I did know that. This may have been the most benign use of Straw’s free time, however.

5. djjackson81 - Feb 14, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Just a small example of Trevor Bauer as us Dbacks fans already knew. The kid thinks he knew it all like he is hall of fame pitcher coming out of college. Did not take schooling or advice from his coaches veterans or even his catcher. Like all rookies do coming up. Projected prospect is just that prospect. The minors are there to learn be coached. News flash Bauer your catcher calls the games you throw the pitches not u call the game and the catcher just catches your pitch selection.

• paperlions - Feb 14, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Catchers kind of call games….people always say catchers call games, but most of them do not. They make suggestions, the pitchers decide what will be thrown.

Considering how well Bauer had done by the age of 21, there isn’t any evidence that coaches, veterans, or his catcher know more about what Trevor Bauer needs to do to get hitters out than Trevor Bauer knows. Coaches have ruined plenty of prospects by trying to overhaul a deliver or throwing program that was working just fine for that pitcher. There is not a one-size-fits-all approach for how to pitch or how to hit, which is why good coaches are flexible in their approach to coaching those aspects of the game. You coach symptoms to identify how to eliminate manifest problems, you do not change things that are working.

• historiophiliac - Feb 14, 2013 at 2:17 PM

There’s also not a one-size-fits-all approach to coaching. Players have different styles and sometimes you have to tailor your coaching. Some people need more leash and some need a little whippin’.

• paperlions - Feb 14, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Well, that or the grit-tastic my-way-or-the-highway approach.

• historiophiliac - Feb 14, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Oh, yeah, I forgot the Arizona Way.

6. chacochicken - Feb 14, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Its a good thing they gave him away for a no bat platoon shortstop with a bad elbow.

7. misterchainbluelightning - Feb 14, 2013 at 12:16 PM

I get a kick outta all the people that assume Bauer doesn’t know what works for him and automatically assumes that the D-Backs make all the right moves and are always right.

Ya maybe Bauer didn’t want to listen to bad advice from people who really have nothing to prove that they know any better than the next guy.

• misterchainbluelightning - Feb 14, 2013 at 12:18 PM

I find this no different that if Bauer was to give Montero criticism on how to swing a bat. As if there is only one way and as if he’s the one who should be yammering about it.

8. Gobias Industries - Feb 14, 2013 at 12:36 PM

I think I’m going to pretend like that song is Miguel Montero and I’m Trevor Bauer and I’m never going to listen to it.

9. coryfor3 - Feb 14, 2013 at 12:36 PM

The headline “Trevor Bauer has a new rap song…” Is enough for me. Doesn’t matter what the song is about.

10. Tick - Feb 14, 2013 at 12:58 PM

So much for that high road. Even if this isn’t about Montero, once you’re an athelte trying to moonlight a rap career, I’m pretty much just going to assume that you’re a narcisstic asshole.

11. illegalblues - Feb 14, 2013 at 1:00 PM

bauer’s gonna be on the new based god mixtape

12. kruegere - Feb 14, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Oh my. I know he’s supposed to be a genius, but he has the emotional development of a 13 year old.

• paperlions - Feb 14, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Mayhaps, but he still doesn’t suffer by comparison to all of the “adults” who have been the ones bitching about him to the media all winter.

• historiophiliac - Feb 14, 2013 at 2:55 PM

“Mayhaps”?

• paperlions - Feb 14, 2013 at 3:09 PM

It is an archaic form of perhaps, I guess I am just old (i.e. archaic)

• historiophiliac - Feb 14, 2013 at 3:29 PM

he he

• historiophiliac - Feb 14, 2013 at 4:50 PM

PS I knew what “mayhaps” means.

• paperlions - Feb 14, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Because you are old.

• historiophiliac - Feb 14, 2013 at 5:51 PM

I am old. It’s cool. There’s worse things than being an old lady. I always say: you couldn’t pay me to do my 20′s again. That was crap.

• paperlions - Feb 14, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Considering that the alternative is to be dead….being old isn’t all bad.

• historiophiliac - Feb 14, 2013 at 6:31 PM

meh

13. josemartez - Feb 14, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Good God that’s terrible. I have him in one of my keeper pools and I feel like I should drop him just for this.

14. coachbrew - Feb 14, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Wow. I lasted 23 seconds before I had to turn it off.

• historiophiliac - Feb 14, 2013 at 2:54 PM

When we were kids, my brother & his friend made a “belching tape.” They recorded themselves belching over and over — those disgusting ones from the gut. Anyway, whenever I did something & he found out, he used to make me listen to so much of the tape or he’d tell Mom. I never made it 30 seconds in before I said I’d just tell Mom myself.

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 14, 2013 at 4:01 PM

I had to shut it down at the 51 second mark (when my ears started bleeding).

• historiophiliac - Feb 14, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Speaking of going the extra mile, I want you to know that I am proving my grit tonight by attending some function after work with the boss. Wheeeee!

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 14, 2013 at 4:12 PM

LOL! You have to know there is a very fine line between going the extra mile and kissing ass.
        People need personal lives. Otherwise, their work suffers.
        I bet the function is going to be as exciting as watching paint dry too.
        I feel for you Philiac. I mean that. Unless there is alcohol involved.
        If alcohol is involved your complaint is falling on deaf ears.

• historiophiliac - Feb 14, 2013 at 4:14 PM

The boss already told me she’s sticking to beer, since she has to drive home. I figure I should not drink b/c w/ that warning, the chances I have to take the keys from my boss might be pretty good. Grit!

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 14, 2013 at 4:19 PM

That’s probably a good call Philiac. Unless you really know (and like) your boss well.
        She may want a drinking companion. She may want a sober driver.
        Either way…it reflects well on you.
        This reflection is undoubtedly a result of the gritty work you do on a daily basis.
        Gritty work that is illustrated by your early arrival…late departure and bust ass attitude. LOL!

• historiophiliac - Feb 14, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Oh, I don’t get there early. I am not an am person. lol They know better than to talk to me before 10.

15. thepoolshark - Feb 15, 2013 at 9:00 AM

Felons, given the choice of going straight or having to listen to this ‘rap’ song (really, just ‘crap’ without the ‘C’) continuously every day for the rest of their sentence, would never even spit on a sidewalk again. Bauer should spend years in jail for subjecting listeners to cruel and unusual punishment

16. deafrecon - Feb 17, 2013 at 12:38 PM

i’ll give him at least some props for prompting me to revisit this gem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THjpdvcEdhc

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet