Feb 14, 2013, 12:16 PM EDT
Perez was non-tendered by the Indians in November following a season in which he was limited to eight appearances because of a shoulder injury that required surgery in September.
However, prior to the shoulder problems Perez was one of the most effective southpaw setup men in baseball with a 3.64 career ERA and a sub-3.60 ERA in four of his five full seasons with the Indians.
At the time of the surgery he was expected to be recovered sometime around spring training, so if healthy the 31-year-old Perez will compete with Tyler Robertson to be the third left-hander in the bullpen behind closer Glen Perkins and Brian Duensing.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (88)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (80)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (76)