Feb 14, 2013, 12:16 PM EST
Perez was non-tendered by the Indians in November following a season in which he was limited to eight appearances because of a shoulder injury that required surgery in September.
However, prior to the shoulder problems Perez was one of the most effective southpaw setup men in baseball with a 3.64 career ERA and a sub-3.60 ERA in four of his five full seasons with the Indians.
At the time of the surgery he was expected to be recovered sometime around spring training, so if healthy the 31-year-old Perez will compete with Tyler Robertson to be the third left-hander in the bullpen behind closer Glen Perkins and Brian Duensing.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 10
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 55
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 141
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 37
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (141)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)