Feb 14, 2013, 8:55 AM EDT
The sports books in Vegas don’t technically predict baseball outcomes as much as they predict what people, on balance, are going to predict. And based on where they’ve set the betting lines for the Yankees, they’re predicting that lots of people are going to adopt the Yankees Doom outlook.
Sports books who have weighed in thus far are setting the over/under on wins for the Bombers at 86 1/2, which is the lowest since Jeter hit the scene in the mid-90s. What’s more:
The Yankees head into spring training with 14-1 odds of winning this year’s World Series tied for eighth among the league’s 30 teams at the Las Vegas Hotel’s Super Book … The Yankees hadn’t been lower than third favorites to win the World Series in the past five years, according to Las Vegas- based handicapping information website Pregame.com.
The lowest non-strike season win total the Yankees have had since 1992 was 87 back in 2000. Of course, they won the World Series that year.
- Video: Jake Arrieta strikes out Chase Utley to complete his no-hitter 3
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 19
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 9
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 55
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)