Feb 14, 2013, 8:55 AM EDT
The sports books in Vegas don’t technically predict baseball outcomes as much as they predict what people, on balance, are going to predict. And based on where they’ve set the betting lines for the Yankees, they’re predicting that lots of people are going to adopt the Yankees Doom outlook.
Sports books who have weighed in thus far are setting the over/under on wins for the Bombers at 86 1/2, which is the lowest since Jeter hit the scene in the mid-90s. What’s more:
The Yankees head into spring training with 14-1 odds of winning this year’s World Series tied for eighth among the league’s 30 teams at the Las Vegas Hotel’s Super Book … The Yankees hadn’t been lower than third favorites to win the World Series in the past five years, according to Las Vegas- based handicapping information website Pregame.com.
The lowest non-strike season win total the Yankees have had since 1992 was 87 back in 2000. Of course, they won the World Series that year.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 133
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 19
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 48
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 49
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 355
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (355)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (198)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)