Feb 14, 2013, 8:55 AM EDT
The sports books in Vegas don’t technically predict baseball outcomes as much as they predict what people, on balance, are going to predict. And based on where they’ve set the betting lines for the Yankees, they’re predicting that lots of people are going to adopt the Yankees Doom outlook.
Sports books who have weighed in thus far are setting the over/under on wins for the Bombers at 86 1/2, which is the lowest since Jeter hit the scene in the mid-90s. What’s more:
The Yankees head into spring training with 14-1 odds of winning this year’s World Series tied for eighth among the league’s 30 teams at the Las Vegas Hotel’s Super Book … The Yankees hadn’t been lower than third favorites to win the World Series in the past five years, according to Las Vegas- based handicapping information website Pregame.com.
The lowest non-strike season win total the Yankees have had since 1992 was 87 back in 2000. Of course, they won the World Series that year.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (85)