Yankees Doom Watch: Las Vegas Edition

Feb 14, 2013, 8:55 AM EDT

Yankees tombstone

The sports books in Vegas don’t technically predict baseball outcomes as much as they predict what people, on balance, are going to predict. And based on where they’ve set the betting lines for the Yankees, they’re predicting that lots of people are going to adopt the Yankees Doom outlook.

Sports books who have weighed in thus far are setting the over/under on wins for the Bombers at 86 1/2, which is the lowest since Jeter hit the scene in the mid-90s. What’s more:

The Yankees head into spring training with 14-1 odds of winning this year’s World Series tied for eighth among the league’s 30 teams at the Las Vegas Hotel’s Super Book … The Yankees hadn’t been lower than third favorites to win the World Series in the past five years, according to Las Vegas- based handicapping information website Pregame.com.

The lowest non-strike season win total the Yankees have had since 1992 was 87 back in 2000. Of course, they won the World Series that year.

1. Chris Fiorentino - Feb 14, 2013 at 8:57 AM

I’ll be there in March and I’ll be placing a nice sized wager on Over 86 1/2 wins. Hopefully it doesn’t move too much between now and then.

2. proudlycanadian - Feb 14, 2013 at 9:08 AM

Red Sox fans would be ecstatic if their team got 86 wins.

• historiophiliac - Feb 14, 2013 at 9:19 AM

I see you’re trolling for Valentines early. :)

• sdelmonte - Feb 14, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Yeah, we need a Happy Valentine’ Day post with a pic of Bobby.

Or maybe Ellis.

• proudlycanadian - Feb 14, 2013 at 9:44 AM

I did wake up at 5AM today, so this is late for me. As far as the Red Sox are concerned, I have no respect for the management of that team.

I did buy a present for a close friend who is going through a difficult break up. My own Valentine is out of the country, so I will be able to buy chocolates for her when they are on sale.

• historiophiliac - Feb 14, 2013 at 9:47 AM

How convenient for you! I’m not really into the V-D, but apparently everyone in my office is. I already have a couple of cupcakes & a chocolate covered strawberry on my desk. We’re having a food day. I made cornbread. lol

• proudlycanadian - Feb 14, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Enjoy the food.

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 14, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Cornbread? You made cornbread? Soooo…you are having ham and beans then huh?
        Otherwise…why would you make cornbread? LOL!

• historiophiliac - Feb 14, 2013 at 12:10 PM

We’re having the traditional Valentine’s chili.

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 14, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Hahaha! Then you should have made Peanut Butter Sandwiches.
        Nevertheless…good job on the effort.

• aceshigh11 - Feb 14, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Oh, fer god’s sake…stop with the Red Sox trolling already. They’re not even mentioned in the post.

• historiophiliac - Feb 14, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Booooo!

/throws valentine candies

• 24missed - Feb 14, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Amen, baby.

• dan1111 - Feb 28, 2014 at 12:37 PM

Ha!

• proudlycanadian - Feb 28, 2014 at 12:54 PM

Red Sox fans were obviously ecstatic last season.

3. mazblast - Feb 14, 2013 at 9:10 AM

I’d take the over on the 86 1/2 wins, but no way I could bring myself to bet on the Yankees to win it all. I’m willing to bet against my rooting interests, but that’s carrying it too far.

• Chris Fiorentino - Feb 14, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Definitely…the way I figure it, they either win less than 87 games and miss the playoffs or they win more than 87 games and I win money. Best case…they win around 88-90 and still miss the playoffs.

4. rdillon99 - Feb 14, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Even with this so-called doom and gloom outlook of only 86 1/2 wins, it is a prediction of a tie for first place (with the Toronto Blue Jays) in the AL East.

• southpaw2k - Feb 14, 2013 at 10:29 AM

While I don’t see the Orioles winning 93 games again this year, I expect them to be right in the thick of things for the AL East this year as well.

And don’t sleep on those pesky Rays either.

• rdillon99 - Feb 14, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Vegas has set the over/under on the Rays at 86 wins (1/2 game less than the Jays and NYY), the Red Sox at 79 1/2, and the O’s at 76 1/2.

5. sdelmonte - Feb 14, 2013 at 9:43 AM

86 1/2 wins? A bit low.

Eighth best odds for the title? That sounds fair. It might even be generous.

6. zzalapski - Feb 14, 2013 at 9:47 AM

I’d also take the over on that, especially since they play the Astros six times this year.

7. APBA Guy - Feb 14, 2013 at 12:45 PM

86 1/2 is worth a bet on the over. The Sports book is the only gambling I do in Vegas, I once won big on Dustin Hermanson and the Expos beating Greg Maddux and the Braves. You can spend hours watching every game in the hotel Sports Book as long as you are buying drinks and placing a bet now and again. Very entertaining evening.

8. uyf1950 - Feb 14, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Just to show some variety this site has the Yankees at 12/1 tied for 6th along with the Reds to win the World Series. BTW, they have the Jays at 10/1 and the Red Sox at 30/1. Variety is the spice of life.

9. simon94022 - Feb 14, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Teams unlikely to reach 86 wins this year:

Boston Red Sox
    Baltimore Orioles
    Toronto Marlins

Tampa Bay is probably good for 88-90 wins, but no more than that. So even a declining Yankee team has to be no worse than co-favorites to win the increasingly mediocre AL East.

Why is Wren out and Gonzalez is not?
  1. R. Castillo (2666)