Chase Utley: “I feel pretty damn good right now”

Feb 15, 2013, 4:46 PM EDT

utley stretching ap AP

Offseason reports about Chase Utley‘s chronic knee problems and overall health were all fairly optimistic and today the Phillies second baseman said: “I feel pretty damn good right now.”

Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com notes that Utley said similar things upon arriving at spring training last year, only to miss the first 75 games of the season, but Utley explained that “all the hard work” he did during the offseason will make it different this time around:

Last year’s program didn’t work for me. It was disappointing. It was difficult to handle. But I wasn’t going to let it get me down. I knew I had lot of baseball left in me. I wasn’t willing to let this stop me. I’m just happy we put together a good program and now things are looking good.

This offseason, I trained to play baseball, not just take pressure off my knees. It’s worked. I have strength in my legs, and I can feel it taking ground balls and swinging the bat. There’s something there where the last couple of years there hasn’t been.

Hopefully he’s right, because even hobbled last season Utley was plenty productive offensively once he felt good enough to rejoin the lineup, hitting .256 with a .793 OPS in 83 games.

CSNPhilly.com has video of Utley talking to the media today.

1. threeskis - Feb 15, 2013 at 4:54 PM

The Phillie haters will begin in 3,2,1….

• paperlions - Feb 15, 2013 at 5:52 PM

You poor babies, everyone always picking on you. There there….there there. It’ll be okay.

• dcfan4life - Feb 15, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Sure i dislike the Phillies and most of their obnoxious fans, but Utley has always seemed like a true professional. I hope injuries dont bother him this season.

• captainwisdom8888 - Feb 16, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Im a philly fan through and through. Eagles Phillies Flyers Sixers. Everything. YET, i will come out and say we DO have obnoxious fans. Obnoxiously loyal fans. When our teams are bad, we will let them know. When our teams are killing it, NOBODY WILL ROAR LOUDER THAN PHILLY. Its just the way it is. Hate us or respect us. It doesnt matter. We dont give a f*** and we arent going to change

get some

• dcfan4life - Feb 16, 2013 at 2:32 AM

See, he said it all right there. Only difference is he did the PG version haha.

• tuberippin - Feb 16, 2013 at 4:09 AM

cool story bro

2. cur68 - Feb 15, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Stop hating on The Phillies! Dang you Gleeman! Dang you to heck!

• proudlycanadian - Feb 15, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Didn’t you read the memo Aaron, The Phillies are Craig’s baby.

3. ame123 - Feb 15, 2013 at 5:05 PM

lol, even here “all the hard work” is in quotes as if this is another article about Delmon Young.

4. acdc363 - Feb 15, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Mac will be happy to hear this.

• oldnavyperformancefleece - Feb 16, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Break out the riot punch !!

5. mojosmagic - Feb 15, 2013 at 7:19 PM

I like being the Phil’s be written off this year. Being an underdog is good thing.

6. dkphilly1122 - Feb 15, 2013 at 7:55 PM

I like DC Fans calling Phillies fans obnoxious……..at least we have REAL fans who didn’t just hop on the wagon. We ran the Nats stadium……even Nats players acknowledged that. It’s pretty pathetic too because the Nats were never a horrible team and had young guys on the rise who were and are fun to watch. This is NO disrespect to the Nats players. Us Phillies fans respect you, unlike your city who just started to realize how good you’s are. Utley still has PLENTY in the tank. I LOVE the Phillies being written finishing at best third place…….underdogs always strive more.

• Old Gator - Feb 16, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Um – you do realize that the Phillies have been in horrible horsemeat and Velveeta™ town about two or three geological epochs longer than the Gnats have been in Washington, right? Fan bases take time to build. This is going to be a great rivalry down the road – my last Ouija Scrabble partner, who might have been Nostradamus for all I know, predicts years of epic playoff collisions between these teams. You know – a real rivalry? Sit back. Relax. Enjoy what’s coming. It beats a Nemesis meteor all to hell.

• Old Gator - Feb 16, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Feelies.

Edit function!
        Edit function!
        EDIT FUNCTION!

7. Carl Hancock - Feb 15, 2013 at 10:27 PM

They call it chronic for a reason. It’s not temporary. Aren’t his knees virtually bone on bone? I’ve always liked Utley but realistically he’ll never be the same player.

8. riverace19 - Feb 16, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Patellar tendinitis is chronic but the symptoms can be mitigated through building the muscles around the tendon… Thus reducing the need for the tendon to do its job. It’s not reparable and requires 12 month per year attention.
    That said if Utley truly wants to play a full season I think it is possible. I don’t think last year he committed to his condition 100%.
    I know this because a few years ago that’s the diagnosis I received, and although I’m just a casual athlete I can remain functional although the rehab is not fun by any means.
    Utley can still flat out rake and the Phils need his bat to make a run at the NL East.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3460)