Delmon Young has an interesting approach to weight loss

Feb 15, 2013, 2:14 PM EDT

Delmon Young Getty Getty Images

I know this is going to come across as me picking on Delmon Young, because I do that a lot, but I honestly just thought this note from Ryan Lawrence of the Philadelphia Daily News was funny:

Young had a physical as apart of the routine of checking in. Young does not know how much he weighs.

“I don’t really go on the scale that much,” Young said Friday at Bright House Field. “I just see what clothes fit and see when I can go on the beach.”

Young then added that it’s too cold to go to the beach.

Young’s weight is a bigger topic than usual this season because his Phillies contract includes $100,000 incentives for each of six random weigh-ins this spring. Unless he can convince them to just pay the incentives based on how often his body image is good enough to feel comfortable hanging out at the beach, of course.

Note: I hope that doesn’t become a standard method for paying employees, however, because then I’ll have to blog for free. In my fat jeans.

1. darthicarus - Feb 15, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Young has a similar approach to fielding. He doesn’t really pay attention to where the ball might actually go, he just heads to an area and hopes it’s close by…then he tosses the ball in the vicinity of a teammate and wonders what it’s like to be a cloud up in the sky.

• Old Gator - Feb 15, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Ah – a splendid application of quantum theory to fielding!

• mackypinky - Feb 16, 2013 at 4:04 PM

comedy genius

2. DelawarePhilliesFan - Feb 15, 2013 at 2:48 PM

I was hoping this was going to say he was released

3. banger60 - Feb 15, 2013 at 2:56 PM

He might be a professional ,but instead of ballplayer he a stupid S.O.B.

4. aiede - Feb 15, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Lest we forget: http://gif.mocksession.com/2012/10/nice-throw-delmon/

• vlock1 - Feb 18, 2013 at 3:16 AM

I still can’t believe – I mean, that was in the World Series.

5. eshine76 - Feb 15, 2013 at 3:48 PM

I wonder if he has a pair of “ham pants”

6. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Feb 15, 2013 at 4:17 PM

The elastic waistband kind are AWESOME, especially if you never have to tuck in a shirt.

7. tfbuckfutter - Feb 15, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Unfortunately these are the pants he uses as a gauge:

8. mojosmagic - Feb 15, 2013 at 7:36 PM

If the Phil’s logo thongs fit Delmon is in shape and ready to go.

Three legends off to Cooperstown