FYI: Only the Yankees and Phillies sell team logo thongs

Feb 15, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT

Phillies Thong

Not gonna lie, I used that headline as an attention-grabber. The purpose: to get you to go read Wendy Thurm’s survey of women’s baseball gear over at FanGraphs. Which starts out with a somewhat surprising fact regarding the pink gear so many of you dislike:

I surveyed the women’s section of each team’s gear for sale at MLB.com. I was pleased to find that, among the items currently for sale, the small minority are pink or with rhinestone or sequins. Some play up women’s sexuality but not, in my view, in a demeaning way. And the number of interesting, versatile and useful items for women baseball fans is growing.

It’s a fun article with a lot of fun merch you probably didn’t imagine existed. Like baby carriers. And Chief Wahoo earrings for that girl you’ve been after who believes that things aren’t racist if they’ve been around for a long time.

And yes, the headline revelation: only two teams — the Phillies and the Yankees — sell team logo thongs. You mileage may vary on whether that’s a good thing or a bad thing.

1. Old Gator - Feb 15, 2013 at 2:07 PM

No down-pointing arrow?

• deafrecon - Feb 17, 2013 at 12:31 PM

i think the “p” is pretty self-explanatory.

2. Francisco (FC) - Feb 15, 2013 at 2:08 PM

I’m sure the Captain pioneered the practice when he asked the Merchandising people for something sexy to put in the Gift Baskets.

3. nightman13 - Feb 15, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Never understood those, if you get to that point and still don’t know where you are going, you don’t deserve to be there.

4. drewzducks - Feb 15, 2013 at 2:13 PM

A-Rod’s game worn ?

• blackandbluedivision - Feb 15, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Comes with his autograph and phone number.

• bigharold - Feb 15, 2013 at 7:38 PM

No but I bet Giambi’s is.

5. mybrunoblog - Feb 15, 2013 at 2:28 PM

You just know a Red Sox fan is going get down to business with some woman and when she drops her pants and he sees that Yankee thong his soldier will cease its salute.

6. cur68 - Feb 15, 2013 at 2:36 PM

rofl:

That’s the hard hitting reporting we’ve come to expect, Craig.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Feb 15, 2013 at 2:45 PM

That’s what she said

• blackandbluedivision - Feb 15, 2013 at 2:55 PM

No. No. Not really.

7. DelawarePhilliesFan - Feb 15, 2013 at 2:44 PM

When you’re hot you’re hot

8. fukpittsburgh - Feb 15, 2013 at 2:47 PM

A Phillies thong is a deal breaker. If she’s a Phillies fan she is gross

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Feb 15, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Don’t make me get that viral “Rothlisberger Shorts” whale-woman

• 4cornersfan - Feb 15, 2013 at 8:15 PM

Just be very thankful it was not a Roethlisberger thong. Some things you can’t unsee.

9. somekat - Feb 15, 2013 at 2:50 PM

My wife has a half dozen Phils thongs, and have no issues with them at all

10. blackandbluedivision - Feb 15, 2013 at 2:56 PM

lol.

I wonder how many “guys” are buying these for their collection?

• indaburg - Feb 15, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Aubrey Huff, maybe?

11. indaburg - Feb 15, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Yankee thongs? And here I thought NYC was the fashion capital of the US. Thongs have been out of style, thank the heavens, for a long time.

• historiophiliac - Feb 15, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Mayhaps that’s a nod to the age range of the team. Stuck in the glory days and all that.

• Reflex - Feb 16, 2013 at 2:29 PM

um…out of style according to who? Does not seem to be the case in my experience…and thank the heavens for that.

12. Stiller43 - Feb 15, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Out of style?

Whats the “in” style for girls underwear? And who sets these “fashions?” Just curious…

I would say anything besides granny panties are good to go for guys. And even then, granny panties would only slow the guy down if it were an actual granny wearing said panties.

Or a gross chick.

• indaburg - Feb 15, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Boy shorts. Once manufacturers figured out a fabric thin enough to avoid the bane of women, VPLs (visible panty lines), thongs went out. You boys probably can’t relate, but those things are as uncomfortable as they look.

• historiophiliac - Feb 15, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Boy shorts? I thought they were out too.

• Reflex - Feb 16, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Tend to agree with the comment that boy shorts are out. They seemed to be in a few years ago but they are not what I’ve encountered much of. ‘cheeky’ seems to be the hot thing, at least if the VS ads I get in my mail says anything, but thongs are still quite popular.

Honestly, girls I know and have dated generally say that thongs are more comfortable than regular underwear provided you find the right size/cut/material.

• indaburg - Feb 16, 2013 at 4:16 PM

They were lying to you. Try one on sometime and let me know how comfortable you think it is.

• Reflex - Feb 16, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Doubtful. Also, you do know that there are standard non-sexy thongs made for men, right? And some men prefer them as well. Were I in the habit of wearing slacks I might even consider it, but with jeans its a non-issue.

Quite frankly its been a long time since I’ve dated a woman who was averse to them or that did not have some as part of her regular clothes. Not because they are sexy, in fact most of them own some truly unsexy bog standard ones. But because they can be practical and comfortable.

Avoid the frills and other crap. Straight cotton with a small back. Give it more than a couple days. You might be surprised. Or not. Everyone has a preference. But given just how many varieties of thongs are sold at virtually every store including the mainstream ones, I’m gonna guess that many girls find them both practical and comfortable.

• indaburg - Feb 17, 2013 at 12:06 AM

I’ve tried them, and no thanks. I don’t like the perma-wedgie feel. I’d prefer nothing at all.

• historiophiliac - Feb 16, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Don’t do it, Burgie. He clearly dates those dippy chicks who swear wearing stilettos is comfortable too. No butt floss!

• indaburg - Feb 17, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Just say no.

• historiophiliac - Feb 17, 2013 at 12:28 AM

Hell no!

• Reflex - Feb 17, 2013 at 1:11 PM

I don’t think I’ve ever dated a girl who likes heels, honestly…

My only point in replying was that the idea that thongs are out of style belies what’s actually on sale everywhere, and certainly goes against my personal experience and what I am told by female friends and girlfriends.

• indaburg - Feb 18, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Well, you’ve mounted a vehement defense. The thong industry is forever in your debt.

• Reflex - Feb 18, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Think they’ll cut me a check? I mean, I saw this little silk number for myself that looks sooooooo good..

Wait, was that my out loud voice? Sorry about that, nothing to see here, carry on…

• indaburg - Feb 18, 2013 at 1:24 PM

LMAO

• Reflex - Feb 18, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Its a monday and I’m at work on a national holiday. Gotta laugh at something, even if its myself.

13. blackandbluedivision - Feb 15, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Nothing like stick it to your rival…over and over again.

14. umrguy42 - Feb 15, 2013 at 4:11 PM

You mentioned baby carriers, and I actually clicked through to see, and sure enough – what’s featured, but a Cards one! Not a fan of the wrap, though, and my son’s too big now (and my back too bad) for that kind of thing. Need like a frame carrier, more support.

15. Jonny 5 - Feb 15, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Great, now I can’t get the thong song out of my head.

16. mojosmagic - Feb 15, 2013 at 7:34 PM

They would like great on Demon Young.

17. onbucky96 - Feb 16, 2013 at 7:18 AM

Bet Jeter puts a pair in that gift bag he gives to his skanks after a 1 nighter…Sinner.

• historiophiliac - Feb 16, 2013 at 7:30 PM