Feb 15, 2013, 10:36 PM EDT
Giancarlo Stanton was understandably peeved after the Marlins unloaded Jose Reyes, Josh Johnson, Mark Buehrle and Emilio Bonifacio in a trade with the Blue Jays in December. However, Joe Frisaro of MLB.com notes that Stanton took the high road at Marlins’ camp today in his first public comments of the spring.
“You’re not going to linger on something and cry about it all day,” Stanton said. “You let it be known how you feel, and push forward.”
There’s no reason to be mad,” Stanton said. “I’m here healthy and ready to play and be a part of the team. The other nonsense, let it be what it is. We’re here to be out on the field.
“People who know me, and not just assume things, they know how I am. There’s not going to be any pouting or any of that stuff. We’re good.”
While many feel bad for Stanton’s predicament, including his former teammate Reyes, the 23-year-old slugger isn’t looking for any sympathy.
“I’m not one to [say], ‘Hey, everyone, feel sorry for me.’ What is there to feel sorry for me about?” Stanton said. “I’m in the big leagues. I play a game for a living.”
There has been plenty of speculation about Stanton’s future, but he wouldn’t really go there today, simply saying that he hasn’t been offered a contract extension. Stanton is set to qualify for arbitration for the first time next offseason, so the odds of a trade will only increase as he gets more expensive and approaches free agency.
Stanton batted .290/.361/.608 with 37 home runs, 86 RBI and a .969 OPS in 123 games last season. He has 93 home runs over his first 373 games in the big leagues. Only eight players have more over the first three years of their career, including Chuck Klein, Frank Robinson, Ryan Braun, Joe DiMaggio, Mark Teixeira, Eddie Matthews, Ralph Kiner and Albert Pujols. Pretty good company.
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 43
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 10
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 35
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 62
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 27
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)