Feb 15, 2013, 10:36 PM EDT
Giancarlo Stanton was understandably peeved after the Marlins unloaded Jose Reyes, Josh Johnson, Mark Buehrle and Emilio Bonifacio in a trade with the Blue Jays in December. However, Joe Frisaro of MLB.com notes that Stanton took the high road at Marlins’ camp today in his first public comments of the spring.
“You’re not going to linger on something and cry about it all day,” Stanton said. “You let it be known how you feel, and push forward.”
There’s no reason to be mad,” Stanton said. “I’m here healthy and ready to play and be a part of the team. The other nonsense, let it be what it is. We’re here to be out on the field.
“People who know me, and not just assume things, they know how I am. There’s not going to be any pouting or any of that stuff. We’re good.”
While many feel bad for Stanton’s predicament, including his former teammate Reyes, the 23-year-old slugger isn’t looking for any sympathy.
“I’m not one to [say], ‘Hey, everyone, feel sorry for me.’ What is there to feel sorry for me about?” Stanton said. “I’m in the big leagues. I play a game for a living.”
There has been plenty of speculation about Stanton’s future, but he wouldn’t really go there today, simply saying that he hasn’t been offered a contract extension. Stanton is set to qualify for arbitration for the first time next offseason, so the odds of a trade will only increase as he gets more expensive and approaches free agency.
Stanton batted .290/.361/.608 with 37 home runs, 86 RBI and a .969 OPS in 123 games last season. He has 93 home runs over his first 373 games in the big leagues. Only eight players have more over the first three years of their career, including Chuck Klein, Frank Robinson, Ryan Braun, Joe DiMaggio, Mark Teixeira, Eddie Matthews, Ralph Kiner and Albert Pujols. Pretty good company.
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 2
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 15
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 20
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 9
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 46
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (245)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)