Hall of Fame writer Hal McCoy will have a ride to Reds games this season

Feb 15, 2013, 8:10 PM EDT

mccoy ap AP

You may remember that Hall of Fame writer Hal McCoy recently asked for a favor. You see, because McCoy is legally blind, a friend has been driving him to and from Reds home games for the past five seasons. However, after his friend had to step aside for health reasons, McCoy took to his personal blog last month to see if someone was willing to take over. Fortunately, he didn’t have much trouble finding a replacement.

In a must-read column over at FOXSportsOhio.com, McCoy writes that he was overwhelmed by the response. He received a total of 437 offers at last count, including one applicant who was willing to move back from Dubai for the opportunity.

McCoy ultimately selected Ray Snedegar, a retired Air Force load master. The gig only pays 55 cents a mile and will require late nights and a 180-mile round trip, but Snedegar doesn’t mind.

When he saw my blog, Snedegar sent his email, “Because it would give me a chance to mix and mingle with a lot of new people after losing my wife. I love baseball and I love Hal’s writing.”

Here’s hoping that Snedegar and McCoy have a great summer.

1. jwbiii - Feb 15, 2013 at 8:16 PM

A retired and lonely guy with a career of showing up on time and putting in as many hours as necessary. Wise choice, McCoy.

2. prosourcetalk - Feb 15, 2013 at 8:51 PM

Wow that is really cool

3. dawgpoundmember - Feb 15, 2013 at 9:09 PM

im surprised thats all the applicant he recieved, i showed my friends the story when we were at the bar, every single person said they would do it if we didnt have jobs that would require time off work like that

4. mustbechris - Feb 15, 2013 at 9:36 PM

legally blind? was he a baseball umpire before he became a baseball writer?

• Bob - Feb 16, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Please quit posting. You’re embarrassing yourself.

• thomas844 - Feb 16, 2013 at 7:19 PM

I dare you to try putting on the pads yourself and umping a game at any level. It ain’t easy, my friend.

• mustbechris - Feb 16, 2013 at 9:09 PM

Dear God you’re all overly sensitive. I’m embarrassing myself? You’ve never heard of the “three blind mice” incident or anyone refer to CB Bucknor as Blind Bucknor? They’re obviously not blind, and they’re obviously the best at their craft considering they’ve made it to the top of it. But for real, take a joke. You’re killing me.

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 18, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Ahhh…don’t sweat it Chris. Some people take themselves far to seriously.
        Sitting anonymously behind a keyboard only seems to magnify it.
        Just for for fun…
        Say something negative about Obama.
        Then…wait two hours and check your thumbs downs.
        But first…let’s wager on the over and under.

5. brewcrewfan54 - Feb 15, 2013 at 9:56 PM

Not familiar with McCoy but this is a cool story.

6. noozehound - Feb 15, 2013 at 10:06 PM

Great story. Sounds like an awesome friendship just started.

7. raysfan1 - Feb 15, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Mr Snedegar, thank you for your service, and congratulations on your new opportunity!

8. Tim's Neighbor - Feb 16, 2013 at 12:52 AM

It’s a little dusty in here, y’all.

9. mazblast - Feb 16, 2013 at 1:07 AM

I offered, but I could only do weekend games, and since I live in Cincinnati, it would have required 2 Cincy-Dayton round trips per game.

I’m thrilled that Hal, a legend around this area and the ONLY competent, I’m-on-your-side-but-not-so-gullible-that-I’ll-believe-all-you-say Reds beat writer, found a reliable driver. Best of luck to Mr. McCoy and Mr. Snedegar, and I look forward to another season of great McCoy articles.

Oh, BTW, Hal–Look at the bright side. You won’t have to watch how badly people drive on I-75 every trip.

10. steeldominance - Feb 16, 2013 at 8:46 AM

Why Ha

11. steeldominance - Feb 16, 2013 at 8:48 AM

Why Hack McCoy is in the hall of fame should be the next story written. Anyone can whine and complain about LaRussa and the Cards spanking them every year. He is a joke.

• raysfan1 - Feb 16, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Let’s sum this story, shall we? A writer who can no longer drive himself to games decides to ask readers if any would be willing to help–the perk being access that very few fans ever get. A lonely widower made the offer and was accepted.

You, in turn, decide that a story about generosity, kindness, and volunteerism is the place to lob a personal insult. Stay classy, man.

• paperlions - Feb 16, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Easy your mind with the knowledge that no writers or broadcasters are in the HOF, they are just award winners voted on by their colleagues and recognized in the museum for their lengthy (if not particularly high quality) service. In short, there is no such thing as a HOF writer, just writers that have won the Taylor Spink Award. At this point, the BBWAA gives the award out to someone every year, even if there is no deserving candidate.

This is not a commentary on McCoy’s writing with which I am not particularly familiar, just on the award itself and the fondness of writers to inaccurately refer to themselves as HOFers.

• thomas844 - Feb 16, 2013 at 7:18 PM

I know St. Louis made it farther in the playoffs but how is getting a Wild Card spot while the Reds win the division considered a “spanking”?

12. thomas844 - Feb 16, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Man, I envy Mr. Snedegar for that opportunity he gets! I am also very happy for him he sounds like a great guy, passionate about baseball, and deserves it. Wow, getting to attend all of those games with a Hall of Fame writer (the one who coined the nickname “Big Red Machine”!) sound amazing! Here’s to a great summer for the both of them, hopefully the Reds give them a chance to see a championship!

13. IdahoMariner - Feb 17, 2013 at 12:51 AM

awesome story.

14. vlock1 - Feb 18, 2013 at 2:25 AM

This makes me ridiculously happy.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (4904)