Feb 15, 2013, 8:10 PM EST
You may remember that Hall of Fame writer Hal McCoy recently asked for a favor. You see, because McCoy is legally blind, a friend has been driving him to and from Reds home games for the past five seasons. However, after his friend had to step aside for health reasons, McCoy took to his personal blog last month to see if someone was willing to take over. Fortunately, he didn’t have much trouble finding a replacement.
In a must-read column over at FOXSportsOhio.com, McCoy writes that he was overwhelmed by the response. He received a total of 437 offers at last count, including one applicant who was willing to move back from Dubai for the opportunity.
McCoy ultimately selected Ray Snedegar, a retired Air Force load master. The gig only pays 55 cents a mile and will require late nights and a 180-mile round trip, but Snedegar doesn’t mind.
When he saw my blog, Snedegar sent his email, “Because it would give me a chance to mix and mingle with a lot of new people after losing my wife. I love baseball and I love Hal’s writing.”
Here’s hoping that Snedegar and McCoy have a great summer.
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 17
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 21
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 59
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 37
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)