Melky Cabrera issues his final statement on his PED suspension

Feb 15, 2013, 9:40 AM EST

San Francisco Giants v Atlanta Braves Getty Images

Melky Cabrera issued a statement this morning about his PED suspension, which he says will be the final thing he says about it. It’s below.

I’m not sure what else can be said about it by him, but I’m sure someone will say that he hasn’t been forthcoming or leaves more questions than he does answers or some such nonsense, because that’s how people tend to respond to this sort of thing.

—————————-

“Last season ended for me when I admitted taking a banned substance and accepted and served my punishment of a 50 game suspension. Since that day, my goals have been to serve my punishment and to put that mistake behind me, and to work hard to be the best baseball player I can be. At the end of last season, when it became clear that I would win the batting title despite my positive test, I asked the Players Association and MLB to make sure a more deserving player won, and I am very happy that my former teammate Buster Posey won that award instead of me.

I also accepted the Giants’ decision not to bring me back for the Playoffs after I served my punishment. Instead, I continued to work hard so I could be ready for the 2013 season. I hoped and expected that I would be allowed to put my mistake behind me and to start this season fresh.

I am aware that in the past weeks, there have been news articles written about so-called patient files from a Miami clinic, and the MLB and others are investigating those allegations. I have told MLB I will cooperate in their investigation the best I can, just as my legal counsel has told federal investigators.  I have been instructed by legal counsel not to answer questions relating to the pending investigations.  This statement will be the last comment I will make on the events of the 2012 season.  I have put my mistakes behind me, have learned my lesson, and have served my punishment.   I am here to play the best baseball I can to help the Toronto Blue Jays win a World Championship.”

1. unclemosesgreen - Feb 15, 2013 at 9:44 AM

I liked Jhonny Peralta’s statement better.

• historiophiliac - Feb 15, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Hhaters.

2. Jackson - Feb 15, 2013 at 9:52 AM

I think he leaves more questions than he does answers

3. tmohr - Feb 15, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Melkington Q. Cabrera drops mike, walks off stage…

4. proudlycanadian - Feb 15, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Not much more he could say and I am sure that his lawyers did tell him to say nothing about the ongoing investigation, since he is a witness. Anything he says in public, could taint an investigation.

As a Jays fan, I am much more interested in his comment about the World Series. The players are pumped up and strongly believe that they can win it.

• proudlycanadian - Feb 15, 2013 at 10:36 AM

The fans are also pumped. Single game tickets went on sale at the Rogers Center half an hour ago. There is a very long lineup.

• cur68 - Feb 15, 2013 at 10:38 AM

That was the bit that got my attention, too. Melkington Q. Cabrera, you silver tongued devil; way to distract this Beaver fan.

• historiophiliac - Feb 15, 2013 at 11:56 AM

I’m gonna be good and not make the obvious bad joke here. I’m gonna be good. I’m gonna be good…

• cur68 - Feb 15, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Boooooo!
        /throws t-shirt

• historiophiliac - Feb 15, 2013 at 3:43 PM

What? You had a shirt to throw? Are you all right?

5. icanspeel - Feb 15, 2013 at 10:12 AM

“Last season ended for me when I admitted taking a banned substance and accepted and served my punishment of a 50 game suspension.” Admitted or got busted? Accepted or had no choice?

• proudlycanadian - Feb 15, 2013 at 10:14 AM

All of the above.

6. mudhead123 - Feb 15, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Blue Jays World Series.. Haha ok

• misterchainbluelightning - Feb 15, 2013 at 11:55 AM

In a coma for the past 5 months? The Jays are the favourite in Vegas to win it all

• forsch31 - Feb 15, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Phillies were the Vegas favorite to win it all in 2012.

• misterchainbluelightning - Feb 16, 2013 at 1:53 AM

k, and that means it was laughable to think they were contenders last year?

7. mathieug79 - Feb 15, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Now Melky can just go out on the field and prove that his worth. I think he’s in for a good season (not great). My prediction: He’ll benefit from Jose Bautista and EE hitting behind him! can’t wait for the season to get underway! Go Jays

• mathieug79 - Feb 15, 2013 at 11:32 AM

prove his worth*

8. randygnyc - Feb 15, 2013 at 11:33 AM

First of all, half the words in that statement are NOT in Melky’s vocabulary. Secondly, FUCK YOU, Melky!!

• proudlycanadian - Feb 15, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Thought that you had better taste than that in your sexual fantasies.

9. jfk69 - Feb 15, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Fair enough…How much more should he say. He got caught and punished. The people in this country these days aren’t happy unless you spend the rest of life humbled and hang dogged till the day you drop. Get over it. Spend your time going after the ones who have yet to pay.
    If he does it again…BANNED FROM BASEBALL…Next case
    By the way…CORTISONE IS A STEROID….Kirk Gibson couldn’t have made it around the bases let alone hit that home run without being shot up before that game and series.

10. dgravey321 - Feb 15, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Ironic he goes to Toronto where there is more juicing then a Tropicana factory. Bautista and Encarnacion? Hmmm, Bautista got ran out of town in Pittsburgh and Edwin couldn’t even hit 30 in Cincy then magically hits over 40 in Toronto? Another retired ballplayer did a similar thing and he couldn’t hit 50 homeruns but then knocks 73 out in a season at the age of 36.

• proudlycanadian - Feb 15, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Ironic that you use the anonymity of the Internet to make an accusation without any proof. It is a bold example of your intestinal fortitude and your ability to think logically.

• jaysjunkie - Feb 15, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Yeah, and you don’t think Bautista wasn’t getting tested like crazy after he started to put up those big HR numbers? I know for a fact that he was and I don’t recall him having any positive tests (Edwin either). Sounds like you’re a bitter Reds or Pirates fan.

• dgravey321 - Feb 16, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Ha it’s a wonder why they don’t change the spelling of your country to CanaDUH! Seriously set down the maple syrup, stop gambling, put out your cigs you Canucks smoke like crazy, wipe up your tears cause there is more NHL teams in the USA, enjoy summer for the two weeks you guys have it, and finally listen up…

Is it any wonder that Tiger Woods and Arod would go to Toronto to see Anthony Galea? A doctor who pleaded guilty for bringing in illegal drugs to the United States of America. Not to mention you have to be one of the all time dumbest athletes if you get busted for taking the PED’s of today, ala Milky Cabrera and Ryan Braun. Because the drugs are always ahead of the testing. Magically Bautista goes to Toronto and puts up 54 bombs in his second year there when he couldn’t get past 16 homeruns in years prior while playing in the National League Central. Albert friggin Pujols had his worst year after leaving the National League Central…

So if you Jays Homers take a step back and take the emotion out of it you will see that I’m pretty much dead on. And ProudlyCanadian I’m just pointing out facts based on numbers. I understand math ends in the 3rd grade in what ever back woods flannel wearing part of Canaduh you’re from…

PS United States of America worked Team Canaduh in the World Juniors when the games mattered!

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester