Feb 15, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT
Position players recover faster and more easily from Tommy John surgery than pitchers, certainly, but the year of lost development time might be an even bigger deal for Liriano. According to Brock he’s hoping to swing a bat in six months, at which point he might be cleared to play winter ball.
It’s a tough break, because Liriano was probably a good half-season from potentially being called up to San Diego and ranked as a consensus top-100 prospect after hitting .280 with a .350 on-base percentage and 32 steals in 127 games last year.
- Boston Marathon heroes remembered with pregame ceremony at Fenway Park 2
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 122
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 4
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 30
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 35
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (135)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)