Feb 15, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT
Position players recover faster and more easily from Tommy John surgery than pitchers, certainly, but the year of lost development time might be an even bigger deal for Liriano. According to Brock he’s hoping to swing a bat in six months, at which point he might be cleared to play winter ball.
It’s a tough break, because Liriano was probably a good half-season from potentially being called up to San Diego and ranked as a consensus top-100 prospect after hitting .280 with a .350 on-base percentage and 32 steals in 127 games last year.
- Patrick Corbin diagnosed with “damage” to left UCL 38
- The Yankees were no-hit by the Marlins in Panama 35
- Report: Jose Iglesias could miss most of the 2014 season 46
- Manny Machado dealing with scar tissue in knee, increasingly unlikely for Opening Day 10
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 58
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon (107)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (102)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)