Feb 15, 2013, 3:56 PM EDT
Ryan Braun? What was that you were saying about it only being your lawyers consulting with Biogenesis for purposes of your PED appeal? If that’s the case, then what’s this about your name showing up on another document in the Biogenesis records? One that is more closely associated with PED customers. T.J. Quinn and Mike Finn of ESPN report:
The list was written in April, in the hand of Biogenesis of America clinic founder Anthony Bosch. Among the names is the Milwaukee Brewers’ Ryan Braun, and to the right of that name is a figure: $1,500.
That list, a source familiar with Bosch’s operation told “Outside the Lines,” indicates that those players received performance-enhancing drugs from Bosch, and owed him money. The document, one of dozens obtained by “Outside the Lines,” suggests a closer link to Bosch and the now-shuttered clinic he ran in Coral Gables, Fla., than Braun has acknowledged.
As before, this is not definitive proof of anything and, in and of itself, does not establish that Braun did anything wrong or give Major League Baseball grounds for action. We simply don’t know whether the Biogenesis records accurately reflect what occurred (they are the very definition of hearsay).
But: Braun gave a pretty specific explanation for his name appearing in those records in the first place. And it’s inconsistent with what Quinn and Fish are reporting here.
I believe you have to give guys the benefit of the doubt when the evidence does not give you anything more to go on than supposition and conjecture. But there’s no escaping that this, at least on the surface, contradicts Braun’s previous explanation and that’s not a good thing for Ryan Braun.
UPDATE: This may all be sexy, but it may not matter.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 10
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 8
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 17
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 72
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 87
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)