Feb 15, 2013, 2:31 PM EDT
The Miami Marlins just announced that they signed Casey Kotchman. Not gonna say Casey Kotchman doesn’t streak across my radar very often, but I had no idea that he wasn’t on a team. This time next year I imagine he’ll replace Miguel Cairo as that guy I am shocked to learn is still in baseball once or twice a year.
Kotchman hit .229/.280/.333 with 12 home runs, 55 RBI and a .612 OPS in 142 games with the Indians last season. Presumably he’d back up Logan Morrison. Or cover first in the unlikely event Morrison plays some in left.
Or right if Jeff Loria trades Giancarlo Stanton for some magic beans two days after suggesting he purchase property in south Florida.
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 58
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 43
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)