Feb 15, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
Jeff Passan of Yahoo! reports that the Red Sox’ use of Toradol was contrary to state law and industry guidelines. Specifically: Passan quotes Curt Schilling — and, importantly, two other sources who are not Curt Schilling — who say that the Red Sox’ trainer routinely injected it into players despite state laws which prohibit sports trainers from doing do.
Toradol, in the news recently because of Jonathan Papelbon saying that the Phillies would not let him use it, is a legal anti-inflammatory. It’s more powerful, however, and has been linked to serious side effects. Many teams use it — many also via injections from athletic trainers — but it remains controversial.
Passan reports that the methods of Toradol injection on the Red Sox weren’t, if his sources are correct, in compliance with the law. Indeed, they sounded downright furtive:
Two other sources described the same scene as Schilling: Reinold and a player stashed away in a secluded area, away from the trainers’ room, with [Red Sox trainer Mike] Reinold jabbing a needle into a player’s buttocks before a game.
Major League Baseball investigated Reinold and the Red Sox and last year issued an edict forbidding trainers from injecting players with Toradol. Whether the state gets involved and investigates depends on whether someone files a complaint. Which seems unlikely, but who knows?
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 5
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 53
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 33
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 18
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 14
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)