Trevor Bauer: “I’m terrible at rapping”

Feb 15, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT

Trevor Bauer, Miguel Montero AP

After making headlines yesterday over a new rap song he released online Indians right-hander Trevor Bauer met with manager Terry Francona and general manager Chris Antonetti, who presumably just said something like “stop doing stuff like this, please.” Publicly, though, Francona called it “a non-story.”

Bauer later talked to reporters about the situation and made it clear that the song wasn’t about former Diamondbacks batterymate Miguel Montero, who recently criticized him publicly. So who was it about, then? “People on Twitter who say you’re terrible, work on your ERA, stick to this, stick to that.”

Well, that’ll show ‘em!

Bauer also admitted: “I’m terrible at rapping.” And then he explained why he does something he’s terrible at:

If someone was to go out and fish and catch a two-inch fish, no one would make fun of them. But because I go out and I’m terrible at rapping, but I enjoy the process about making the beat and writing the lyrics, and I happen to put it online, if someone wanted to listen or happened to like it, I get blown up about it and there’s a whole bunch of controversy over a hobby I do.

Some valid points there, but the “happen to put it online” part is obviously the key to the whole thing.  If he went fishing, was “terrible” at it, and posted details and pictures or videos of his fishing trip online he’d probably be mocked for that too. Which is why most people keep their hobbies to themselves. It isn’t the terrible rapping that caused people to mock Bauer, it’s the terrible rapping and then making your terrible rapping available for anyone to hear.

Also, here’s a great idea: Rap about fishing.

1. mrobinson14 - Feb 15, 2013 at 10:34 AM

How about people hop off him? Seriously. He’s got a hobby and is paid to do what he loves. Just give him a break. Dang!

2. cur68 - Feb 15, 2013 at 10:35 AM

“I’m terrible at rapping” = understatement of the day.

3. chacochicken - Feb 15, 2013 at 10:49 AM

I heard he was actually rapping about Warren Beatty, but Montero would make sense too.

4. Sign Ahead - Feb 15, 2013 at 10:51 AM

” Which is why most people keep their hobbies to themselves. ”

I’m not sure this is true, especially on the internet. People share their hobbies all the time here. In the best cases, we form like-minded, supportive communities where people can learn more bout their interests, find support when they struggle, and celebrate when they succeed. When it works, it’s great. And when it doesn’t, it’s kinda messy.

I think we can safely file Bauer’s rap into the “kinda messy” category. But I don’t think we should chastise him for doing something poorly on the internet. On the other hand, some gentle (or not-so-gentle) chiding for responding poorly to criticism on Twitter, is definitely in order. Trevor, that’s a discussion that you will never, ever win. And you can look awfully….well….awful while you figure that out.

5. historiophiliac - Feb 15, 2013 at 10:55 AM

I like to put all the stuff I suck at online too. Anyone can be proud of their accomplishments but it takes a special mind to enjoy flaunting one’s failures.

6. fanofevilempire - Feb 15, 2013 at 10:58 AM

he should do gangsta rap……
    he will need to be shot a few times to get his street cred.

I can’t stop laughing, he raps………….

7. mississippimusicman - Feb 15, 2013 at 11:14 AM

to the tune of Gangster’s Paradise
    I go down to the river where I cast in my line
    I take a look at the sky, and see the weather’s mighty fine
    But I’ve been fishing and hunting so long
    That even Chipper Jones thinks my mind is gone

But I ain’t never caught a striper that didn’t deserve it
    Me be snagged up on a log? You know that’s unheard of
    You better watch how you talkin, and where you walkin
    Or you’ll scare off the fish, and then nothin’ get caught

I really hate to brag, but you gotta know
    About the one that got away, it was this big, fool
    I’m the Bassmaster the little anglers wanna be like
    On my knees in the night, saying prayers that the fish will bite

We’ve been spending most our lives
    Living in a Sportsman’s Paradise…

• mississippimusicman - Feb 15, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Can’t believe I’m the only one to “take the bait” and write a fishing rap.

• Kevin S. - Feb 15, 2013 at 12:04 PM

I think everybody tacitly acknowledged that you won the thread there.

8. Old Gator - Feb 15, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Rap is atrocious at the best of times. Being a bad rapper is like being an Astro in a slump.

• historiophiliac - Feb 15, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Booooooo!

/throws digital “mix-tapes”

• Old Gator - Feb 15, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Aw come on – surely you can find some other source of irremediable monotony?

• historiophiliac - Feb 15, 2013 at 12:21 PM

I think you just haven’t found the right rap, OG. It’s poetry.

• indaburg - Feb 15, 2013 at 1:45 PM

OG (original gangsta?) is a lost cause, ‘philiac. I’ve tried explaining the beauty and passion of good rap to him–my classical music loving pianist dad was the first to introduce me to rap–but he’s not having it. I’m guessing he’s basing his opinion on the money-cash-hoes stuff that booms out of car stereos, which is the lowest common denominator. Any music genre that is unfamiliar sounds monotonous.

On the white boy rapping scale, with Snow being the worst and the Beasties the best, I would rank Bauer below Vanilla Ice but ahead of Fred Durst. Now I need to listen to some Tribe to wipe out the sounds of hell.

• historiophiliac - Feb 15, 2013 at 3:46 PM

I suddenly have the urge to drop some Fatlip on OG. LOL!

• Old Gator - Feb 15, 2013 at 2:38 PM

You can float chunks of tripe in bouilliabaise but it’s still tripe.

• mississippimusicman - Feb 15, 2013 at 12:18 PM

I just turn down the bass and pretend I’m listening to beat poetry.

• Old Gator - Feb 15, 2013 at 2:39 PM

I lack sufficient imagination to pretend that rap is “poetry.” I wind up turning it off completely and reading Howl aloud to myself.

9. btwicey - Feb 15, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Slow news week, so media ride this guy and try to make fun of him when he’s actually just making fun of himself.

• Old Gator - Feb 15, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Even a spawrtsrighter can see that. But then, spawrtsrighters are making fun of themselves even when they’re not trying to make fun of themselves. So I guess they’re all even.

10. latchbeam - Feb 17, 2013 at 10:41 AM

@musicman That was awesome!!

Do Royals or A's have the edge tonight?
  1. D. Jeter (3288)