Feb 15, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
After making headlines yesterday over a new rap song he released online Indians right-hander Trevor Bauer met with manager Terry Francona and general manager Chris Antonetti, who presumably just said something like “stop doing stuff like this, please.” Publicly, though, Francona called it “a non-story.”
Bauer later talked to reporters about the situation and made it clear that the song wasn’t about former Diamondbacks batterymate Miguel Montero, who recently criticized him publicly. So who was it about, then? “People on Twitter who say you’re terrible, work on your ERA, stick to this, stick to that.”
Well, that’ll show ’em!
Bauer also admitted: “I’m terrible at rapping.” And then he explained why he does something he’s terrible at:
If someone was to go out and fish and catch a two-inch fish, no one would make fun of them. But because I go out and I’m terrible at rapping, but I enjoy the process about making the beat and writing the lyrics, and I happen to put it online, if someone wanted to listen or happened to like it, I get blown up about it and there’s a whole bunch of controversy over a hobby I do.
Some valid points there, but the “happen to put it online” part is obviously the key to the whole thing. If he went fishing, was “terrible” at it, and posted details and pictures or videos of his fishing trip online he’d probably be mocked for that too. Which is why most people keep their hobbies to themselves. It isn’t the terrible rapping that caused people to mock Bauer, it’s the terrible rapping and then making your terrible rapping available for anyone to hear.
Also, here’s a great idea: Rap about fishing.
- Video: Jake Arrieta strikes out Chase Utley to complete his no-hitter 3
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 19
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 9
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 55
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)