Feb 15, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
After making headlines yesterday over a new rap song he released online Indians right-hander Trevor Bauer met with manager Terry Francona and general manager Chris Antonetti, who presumably just said something like “stop doing stuff like this, please.” Publicly, though, Francona called it “a non-story.”
Bauer later talked to reporters about the situation and made it clear that the song wasn’t about former Diamondbacks batterymate Miguel Montero, who recently criticized him publicly. So who was it about, then? “People on Twitter who say you’re terrible, work on your ERA, stick to this, stick to that.”
Well, that’ll show ’em!
Bauer also admitted: “I’m terrible at rapping.” And then he explained why he does something he’s terrible at:
If someone was to go out and fish and catch a two-inch fish, no one would make fun of them. But because I go out and I’m terrible at rapping, but I enjoy the process about making the beat and writing the lyrics, and I happen to put it online, if someone wanted to listen or happened to like it, I get blown up about it and there’s a whole bunch of controversy over a hobby I do.
Some valid points there, but the “happen to put it online” part is obviously the key to the whole thing. If he went fishing, was “terrible” at it, and posted details and pictures or videos of his fishing trip online he’d probably be mocked for that too. Which is why most people keep their hobbies to themselves. It isn’t the terrible rapping that caused people to mock Bauer, it’s the terrible rapping and then making your terrible rapping available for anyone to hear.
Also, here’s a great idea: Rap about fishing.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 23
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)