Feb 15, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
After making headlines yesterday over a new rap song he released online Indians right-hander Trevor Bauer met with manager Terry Francona and general manager Chris Antonetti, who presumably just said something like “stop doing stuff like this, please.” Publicly, though, Francona called it “a non-story.”
Bauer later talked to reporters about the situation and made it clear that the song wasn’t about former Diamondbacks batterymate Miguel Montero, who recently criticized him publicly. So who was it about, then? “People on Twitter who say you’re terrible, work on your ERA, stick to this, stick to that.”
Well, that’ll show ’em!
Bauer also admitted: “I’m terrible at rapping.” And then he explained why he does something he’s terrible at:
If someone was to go out and fish and catch a two-inch fish, no one would make fun of them. But because I go out and I’m terrible at rapping, but I enjoy the process about making the beat and writing the lyrics, and I happen to put it online, if someone wanted to listen or happened to like it, I get blown up about it and there’s a whole bunch of controversy over a hobby I do.
Some valid points there, but the “happen to put it online” part is obviously the key to the whole thing. If he went fishing, was “terrible” at it, and posted details and pictures or videos of his fishing trip online he’d probably be mocked for that too. Which is why most people keep their hobbies to themselves. It isn’t the terrible rapping that caused people to mock Bauer, it’s the terrible rapping and then making your terrible rapping available for anyone to hear.
Also, here’s a great idea: Rap about fishing.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 22
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 22
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 42
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 63
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 75
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 92
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)