Feb 16, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
Francisco Cervelli was listed on Italy’s provisional roster when it was announced last month, but it turns out that he will not participate in the upcoming World Baseball Classic.
According to Bryan Hoch of MLB.com, Cervelli confirmed this morning that he has withdrawn from the tournament. As it stands right now, the 26-year-old projects to share catching duties with Chris Stewart this season, so his first priority is to stay in Yankees’ camp and secure a spot on the Opening Day roster. Italy will push ahead with Twins’ catcher Drew Butera and Giants’ minor league catcher Tyler LaTorre.
Cervelli is currently being investigated by MLB for his alleged ties to the Miami-based Biogenesis clinic and biochemist Anthony Bosch. He admitted earlier this week to meeting with Bosch following a 2011 foot injury, but he maintains that he never received any performance-enhancing drugs.
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 39
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 72
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 24
- 2014 Preview: Kansas City Royals 17
- Kris Medlen expects to have another Tommy John surgery 13
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (104)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (102)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (94)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (89)