Feb 16, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
Francisco Cervelli was listed on Italy’s provisional roster when it was announced last month, but it turns out that he will not participate in the upcoming World Baseball Classic.
According to Bryan Hoch of MLB.com, Cervelli confirmed this morning that he has withdrawn from the tournament. As it stands right now, the 26-year-old projects to share catching duties with Chris Stewart this season, so his first priority is to stay in Yankees’ camp and secure a spot on the Opening Day roster. Italy will push ahead with Twins’ catcher Drew Butera and Giants’ minor league catcher Tyler LaTorre.
Cervelli is currently being investigated by MLB for his alleged ties to the Miami-based Biogenesis clinic and biochemist Anthony Bosch. He admitted earlier this week to meeting with Bosch following a 2011 foot injury, but he maintains that he never received any performance-enhancing drugs.
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 0
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 7
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 33
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 11
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 40
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 182
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 74
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (182)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)