Feb 16, 2013, 3:47 PM EDT
Francisco Rodriguez is still a free agent. But that hasn’t affected his desire to pitch in a third straight World Baseball Classic for his native Venezuela.
CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman reports that “K-Rod” has committed to work out of the bullpen for Team Venezuela in the 2013 WBC and will hope to “use the event as springboard for a new job.” Rodriguez was also on the Venezuelan roster in 2006 and 2009.
The 31-year-old right-hander registered an underwhelming 4.38 ERA and 1.33 WHIP in 78 appearances last season for the Brewers, though he did strike out 72 batters in 72 innings. He should eventually land with a major league team.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (104)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (102)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)