Feb 16, 2013, 3:47 PM EDT
Francisco Rodriguez is still a free agent. But that hasn’t affected his desire to pitch in a third straight World Baseball Classic for his native Venezuela.
CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman reports that “K-Rod” has committed to work out of the bullpen for Team Venezuela in the 2013 WBC and will hope to “use the event as springboard for a new job.” Rodriguez was also on the Venezuelan roster in 2006 and 2009.
The 31-year-old right-hander registered an underwhelming 4.38 ERA and 1.33 WHIP in 78 appearances last season for the Brewers, though he did strike out 72 batters in 72 innings. He should eventually land with a major league team.
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 17
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 25
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 105
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8