Feb 16, 2013, 9:32 PM EDT
Richard, who was arbitration-eligible for the second time this winter, earned $2.705 million last season while posting a 3.99 ERA and 107/42 K/BB ratio over 218 2/3 innings. The 29-year-old requested $5.55 million and was offered $4.91 million by the Padres when arbitration figures were exchanged last month, so the two sides settled for a little over the midpoint.
There’s some significance to this agreement, as Richard was the lone arbitration-eligible player left unsigned in MLB. This means that there won’t be a single arbitration hearing in MLB this winter. FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal notes that under the current set-up, there has never been a year with fewer than three arbitration hearings until now. That’s a pretty good indication of labor peace.
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 8
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 12
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 10
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 31
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)