Feb 16, 2013, 1:48 PM EDT
According to MLB.com’s Bill Ladson, the Dominican right-hander arrived in Viera, Florida on Saturday morning. He was greeted in the clubhouse by Nats general manager Mike Rizzo and new teammate Gio Gonzalez, and then held court with reporters.
“I’m so happy to be here,” Soriano said. “I come here and [we will] see what happens the next two weeks. I want to be comfortable with everybody here and win this year. … I want to win. That’s all I’m here for.”
Soriano signed a two-year, $28 million free agent contract with Washington this offseason after registering a fantastic 2.26 ERA, 1.17 WHIP and 69/24 K/BB ratio across 67 2/3 innings last summer for the Yankees. The 33-year-old is expected to function as the Nationals’ primary ninth-inning man in 2013.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 14
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 45
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17