Feb 16, 2013, 7:45 PM EDT
The Reds are stretching out left-hander Aroldis Chapman this spring in preparation for moving him to the starting rotation. However, while the club plans to handle his workload responsibly, they aren’t willing to say much more.
According to Mark Sheldon of MLB.com, Reds pitching coach Bryan Price said today that the team doesn’t plan to disclose their plan for how many innings Chapman will throw as a starter.
“There is a pretty good understanding of what will be necessary to keep his innings at an area that we’re comfortable with, should he be a starter throughout the course of the season,” Prices said on Saturday. “That being said, I think if I’ve learned anything, I’ve learned it’s better to keep that stuff to ourselves. You just set the table for a little too much speculation and Q&A that I would not be comfortable going through.”
This is a different situation than what we saw with Stephen Strasburg last season, as Chapman is making the transition from the bullpen as opposed to pitching his first full season back from Tommy John surgery, but it’s easy to see how a firm number could become a distraction for a team which is expected to contend. No need to go there, especially since a lot of things can happen in spring training. Remember, Chapman was originally expected to begin last season in the starting rotation before Ryan Madson hurt his elbow and required Tommy John surgery.
Chapman posted a dominant 1.51 ERA, 38 saves and a 122/23 K/BB ratio over 71 2/3 innings last season. Jonathan Broxton is expected to take his place in the closer role this season.
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 0
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 14
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 11
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 37
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 181
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 74
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 38
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (181)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)