Feb 16, 2013, 10:15 PM EST
It doesn’t matter much now, but CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman reports that Ozzie Guillen inquired about the Orioles’ third base coach job before the team settled on Bobby Dickerson as a replacement for DeMarlo Hale.
Talks apparently didn’t get very far, as Guillen’s son, Ozzie Guillen, Jr., suggested that his father may have had “a brief third-party discussion” regarding the opening. He also said that his father might get back into managing “in the future” and suggested that he could consider such a job “in Asia.” Now that’s something I’d like to see. As for this season, it appears that Guillen might do some TV work while he weighs his options.
There was much fanfare when the Marlins brought Guillen aboard as manager last season, but he was cut loose after the club flopped and finished in last place with a disappointing 69-93 record. The arrangement was almost doomed from the start, as Guillen angered many in Miami’s Cuban community by making some controversial comments about Fidel Castro.
As of now, the Marlins still owe Guillen $2.5 million over each of the next three seasons. By the way, only two Marlins’ players (Ricky Nolasco and Placido Polanco) have a higher base salary than Guillen this year.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 56
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 85
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 37
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 14
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (85)