Feb 16, 2013, 10:15 PM EST
It doesn’t matter much now, but CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman reports that Ozzie Guillen inquired about the Orioles’ third base coach job before the team settled on Bobby Dickerson as a replacement for DeMarlo Hale.
Talks apparently didn’t get very far, as Guillen’s son, Ozzie Guillen, Jr., suggested that his father may have had “a brief third-party discussion” regarding the opening. He also said that his father might get back into managing “in the future” and suggested that he could consider such a job “in Asia.” Now that’s something I’d like to see. As for this season, it appears that Guillen might do some TV work while he weighs his options.
There was much fanfare when the Marlins brought Guillen aboard as manager last season, but he was cut loose after the club flopped and finished in last place with a disappointing 69-93 record. The arrangement was almost doomed from the start, as Guillen angered many in Miami’s Cuban community by making some controversial comments about Fidel Castro.
As of now, the Marlins still owe Guillen $2.5 million over each of the next three seasons. By the way, only two Marlins’ players (Ricky Nolasco and Placido Polanco) have a higher base salary than Guillen this year.
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Jonson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 0
- Report: Pablo Sandoval and the Red Sox agree to a five-year deal at close to $100 million 99
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 44
- Report: Red Sox finalizing a 5-year, $90 million deal with Hanley Ramirez 33
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 25
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)