Feb 16, 2013, 10:15 PM EST
It doesn’t matter much now, but CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman reports that Ozzie Guillen inquired about the Orioles’ third base coach job before the team settled on Bobby Dickerson as a replacement for DeMarlo Hale.
Talks apparently didn’t get very far, as Guillen’s son, Ozzie Guillen, Jr., suggested that his father may have had “a brief third-party discussion” regarding the opening. He also said that his father might get back into managing “in the future” and suggested that he could consider such a job “in Asia.” Now that’s something I’d like to see. As for this season, it appears that Guillen might do some TV work while he weighs his options.
There was much fanfare when the Marlins brought Guillen aboard as manager last season, but he was cut loose after the club flopped and finished in last place with a disappointing 69-93 record. The arrangement was almost doomed from the start, as Guillen angered many in Miami’s Cuban community by making some controversial comments about Fidel Castro.
As of now, the Marlins still owe Guillen $2.5 million over each of the next three seasons. By the way, only two Marlins’ players (Ricky Nolasco and Placido Polanco) have a higher base salary than Guillen this year.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 59
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 156
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (158)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)