Feb 16, 2013, 10:15 PM EDT
It doesn’t matter much now, but CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman reports that Ozzie Guillen inquired about the Orioles’ third base coach job before the team settled on Bobby Dickerson as a replacement for DeMarlo Hale.
Talks apparently didn’t get very far, as Guillen’s son, Ozzie Guillen, Jr., suggested that his father may have had “a brief third-party discussion” regarding the opening. He also said that his father might get back into managing “in the future” and suggested that he could consider such a job “in Asia.” Now that’s something I’d like to see. As for this season, it appears that Guillen might do some TV work while he weighs his options.
There was much fanfare when the Marlins brought Guillen aboard as manager last season, but he was cut loose after the club flopped and finished in last place with a disappointing 69-93 record. The arrangement was almost doomed from the start, as Guillen angered many in Miami’s Cuban community by making some controversial comments about Fidel Castro.
As of now, the Marlins still owe Guillen $2.5 million over each of the next three seasons. By the way, only two Marlins’ players (Ricky Nolasco and Placido Polanco) have a higher base salary than Guillen this year.
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 12
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 19
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 34
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 13
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)