Report: Ozzie Guillen inquired about the Orioles’ third base coach job

Feb 16, 2013, 10:15 PM EDT

Ozzie Guillen Getty Getty Images

It doesn’t matter much now, but CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman reports that Ozzie Guillen inquired about the Orioles’ third base coach job before the team settled on Bobby Dickerson as a replacement for DeMarlo Hale.

Talks apparently didn’t get very far, as Guillen’s son, Ozzie Guillen, Jr., suggested that his father may have had “a brief third-party discussion” regarding the opening. He also said that his father might get back into managing “in the future” and suggested that he could consider such a job “in Asia.” Now that’s something I’d like to see. As for this season, it appears that Guillen might do some TV work while he weighs his options.

There was much fanfare when the Marlins brought Guillen aboard as manager last season, but he was cut loose after the club flopped and finished in last place with a disappointing 69-93 record. The arrangement was almost doomed from the start, as Guillen angered many in Miami’s Cuban community by making some controversial comments about Fidel Castro.

As of now, the Marlins still owe Guillen $2.5 million over each of the next three seasons. By the way, only two Marlins’ players (Ricky Nolasco and Placido Polanco) have a higher base salary than Guillen this year.

1. thebadguyswon - Feb 16, 2013 at 11:04 PM

Here’s hoping for Asia.

• polonelmeagrejr - Feb 17, 2013 at 5:34 AM

Just so long as he doesn’t learn the language he’ll be OK in Asia.

2. pisano - Feb 16, 2013 at 11:41 PM

Stay in Venezuela,for the good of us all.

3. Old Gator - Feb 17, 2013 at 12:07 AM

Anyone who’s been reading this blog for a while knows I was no fan of Slobbering Ozzie’s but, really, you can’t help feeling badly for another in a long line of Scrooge McLoria’s victims. Maybe Ozzie would have flopped even with a functional team but, really, that lineup of underachievers and deadbeats – especially the punchout-prone fiasco that was Heath Bell – didn’t give him much of a chance. It wasn’t Ozzie’s idea to freight the team with Black Hole Buck and his bloated contract or with Tweeter, his gimpy knee, and his congenital inability to drive in runs. You begin blowing up a team in midseason and expect it to finish in what place in the division?

And as for the melodramatically overblown reaction to Ozzie the communista, oh please, the Splattering One’s faux pas so infuriated the community that it brought out the usual menagerie of grandstanding politicians and caused a demonstration populated mainly by a couple of dozen abuelos and abuelas and the kids they were babysitting while their parents fried croquetas at the local cafe cubanos, at least as many so-called journalists – and not much else.

No, I’m no Ozzie fan – but of all the culprits in last season’s implosion, he was the least of them.

4. crisisjunky - Feb 17, 2013 at 12:20 AM

There would be many ‘brief third party conversations’ in his future, if he sojourns to Nippon, or Formosa.
    Would his new nickname be ‘Fatman’ or Little Boy’?

• Old Gator - Feb 17, 2013 at 8:53 AM

OOOoooooo, that’s cold.

• historiophiliac - Feb 17, 2013 at 10:54 AM

A little too much, I thought.

5. 13arod - Feb 17, 2013 at 12:21 AM

Ozzie is a good manger but the marlins just didn’t do good for him and mad him look like he was the reason marlins didn’t win games

6. quintjs - Feb 17, 2013 at 12:53 AM

I was hoping Ozzie would spend the season sitting in the front row at the Marlins Park, just to remind Loria he is paying him $2.5m.

• historiophiliac - Feb 17, 2013 at 1:08 AM

brilliant

• Old Gator - Feb 17, 2013 at 8:55 AM

Thanks, quint. You just alerted me to a wish I didn’t even know I wished. Now I can have my desayuno lurin at the local Peruvian cafe without sitting there wondering what it was that was gnawing at me.

7. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Feb 17, 2013 at 12:59 AM

Further evidence that Buck knows best. What a nightmare it would have been if someone decided to give this joker a job. The franchise isn’t exactly known for making the best decisions, but damn passing on this was probably the best thing the team did this off-season.

8. skipcastaneda - Feb 17, 2013 at 1:25 AM

He represents all that is wrong with baseball. He is the worst thing to happen to baseball. And I’m speaking as a Latino. He made himself look like a horses ass on that Showtime program. And his son Oney needs to keep his mouth shut!

• sfbookreviews - Feb 17, 2013 at 1:58 AM

As long as Scott Boras draws breath, Ozzie is NOT the worst thing to happen to baseball.

• Old Gator - Feb 17, 2013 at 8:57 AM

As long as the designated hitter continues to befoul the traditions of baseball, Slobbering Ozzie is not the worst thing to happen to the game.

• paperlions - Feb 17, 2013 at 10:22 AM

As long as billionaire owners continue to manipulate and extort local politicians and tax payers to get hundreds of millions of dollars in gifts, Ozzie doesn’t even rate on the list of what is wrong with baseball.

• historiophiliac - Feb 17, 2013 at 10:55 AM

I’m going to start making people show their work when they claim that Boras is the worst thing to happen to baseball. Defend that.

9. uspoika - Feb 17, 2013 at 2:17 AM

my opinion is that Ozzie Guillen fu$’ing sucks and he needs, in my opinion, to keep his f~<#^ng mouth shut. Its my opinion, that he needs to be speaking that Spanish somewhere else, because when he speaks english, i only hear diarrhea, because his english sucks. he needs english lessons, maybe when hes done being a baby he can take lessons on how to speak ENGLISH… not spanish.

• Old Gator - Feb 17, 2013 at 9:00 AM

Hahahahahah…you can’t punctuate, your syntax is terrible, and you don’t know the difference between upper and lower cases. Please, though, continue to bash Ozzie’s Espanglish.

We need four students to form and official class. If you can find two more clueless illiterates like yourselves, my University will pay me (not well, but wisely) to straighten out both you and Ozzie plus two more hapless souls next semester.

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 18, 2013 at 11:52 AM

“my University will pay me.”

I knew it! And you refused to admit it. Own up…who butters your bread?
        I kid…I kid…mostly.

• aceshigh11 - Feb 17, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Right on, brother! Oh, and just for good measure…

…DEY TOOK OUR JERBS!! [/sarc]

Ignorant redneck freak…every day, the American right proves that they’re completely beyond the ability to satire.

• abaird2012 - Feb 17, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Is “satire” a verb?

• Old Gator - Feb 17, 2013 at 11:32 AM

You can verb anything.

• Old Gator - Feb 17, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Which of course begs the question, is verb a verb?

• historiophiliac - Feb 17, 2013 at 11:36 AM

But, it’s irregular: I satire. You satires. We satirify.

• Old Gator - Feb 17, 2013 at 11:43 AM

I’m not satisfied with that. I think we need to mutate a stem vowel in the second and third persons.

• historiophiliac - Feb 17, 2013 at 11:51 AM

I thought about an umlaut, but that’s un-American.

• mazblast - Feb 17, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Noun is a noun, and so is verb. Go figure.

historophiliac–Just insert random umlauts, tildas (tildes?), and accent marks. Drives those with the best and worst command of the language crazy.

And no one can talk to a horse, of course, so none of us should be speaking to uspoika.

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 18, 2013 at 11:56 AM

“Ignorant redneck freak”

Aces…dude…you need to stop with that redneck bullshit.
        As I have said many…many…times…I know lots of hilljacks who blindly vote Democrat in every election. Be it school board…planning commision…Mayor…Governor…or President.
        It does not matter. They vote Democrat…and do so blindly.

After all…dem’ greedy ass…rich mans all belong to the udder’ side.
        And theyen’s don’t much car fer us common folk.

• chill1184 - Feb 17, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Nobody’s forcing you to listen to him.

• Old Gator - Feb 17, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Much less predicate him.

10. 1bucfan813 - Feb 17, 2013 at 2:38 AM

Hey dude up top. Yea you! Stop complaining about someone’s English, when you cant even write properly. Idiot

• polonelmeagrejr - Feb 17, 2013 at 5:35 AM

You’re missing a comma, Shakespeare..

• Old Gator - Feb 17, 2013 at 9:03 AM

I think it’s been pretty well proven by intense philological and literary research that it was actually Christopher Marlow who missed that comma.

• Old Gator - Feb 17, 2013 at 9:06 AM

And Ben Jonson who missed the terminal “e” on Marlowe.

Edit function!
        Edit function!
        EDIT FUNCTION!

• abaird2012 - Feb 17, 2013 at 11:06 AM

No, that would have been an apostrophe — commas are the curlicues that go at the BOTTOM of the line …

• Old Gator - Feb 17, 2013 at 2:02 PM

The entire mangled rant was an apostrophe. I felt like the moron was blathering directly at me.

• historiophiliac - Feb 17, 2013 at 11:09 AM

I think you mean “Yeah, you!” “Yea” is an affirmative vote or a word that serves as a conjunction or interjection. “Yeah” is a variation on “yes” — which is what I think you meant.

• Old Gator - Feb 17, 2013 at 11:31 AM

I love the way any discussion of Slobbering Ozzie destabilizes the entire semiotic field, not only within the discourse but in the wider galaxy of discourses of which it is a part. Ozzie, it turns out, is no other than the necessary angel of earth, since, in his gibberish, you hear the earth again, cleared of its stiff and stubborn, grammar-and-syntax locked set, and in his swearing you hear a tragic drone rise liquidly in liquid lingerings like slobbered words awash; like meanings mauled by repetitions of half meanings. Is he not, himself, only half of a figure of a sort, a figure half seen, or seen for a moment, a man of the Feesh, an apparition apparelled in uniforms of such crassest look that a turn of the season and quickly, too quickly, he is gone?

• Old Gator - Feb 17, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Sorry about that, Wallace. I mean,really sorry.

• historiophiliac - Feb 17, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Sorry, OG. That’s a pet peeve.

• Old Gator - Feb 17, 2013 at 1:55 PM

I’ve never kept a peeve. I do have a pet pygmy rattlesnake named Friendo and an odd Hemingway hound named fido, though.

• historiophiliac - Feb 17, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Speaking of which, I saw on the national news that the Great Python Hunt has now netted 63 war criminals.

• Old Gator - Feb 17, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Yeah, that put a big dent in the estimated hundred thousand python population out there.

Of course, this isn’t counting what Macondo had to spend to send out search parties and helicopters to rescue those two clueless clowns from Tennessee who came to hunt the big snakes and got lost in the Everglades.

Incidentally, you’ll be delighted to know that the Second First Annual Invasive Species Festival* is going to be held at Churchill’s Pub in Macondo on April 14tf, in defiance of Earth Week. Come on down and celebrate south Florida’s diversity with us! There’s even talk about a Jan Brewer Prize to anyone who can kill the most invasive species (I assume they have some way to certify the count – gun cameras, maybe) by the time of the Festival.

*They’re calling it that because they still have plenty of leftover T-shirts to sell that say “First Annual Invasive Species Festival” on them. I suppose that if they manage to get rid of them, they’ll call next year’s shindig “The First Second Annual Invasive Species Festival.”

• nbjays - Feb 18, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Hey Gator, aren’t Quebecois considered an invasive species in Florida? Just checkin’…

11. fanofevilempire - Feb 17, 2013 at 7:49 AM

No big fan of Ozzie but he can coach and he brings a lot of etc.
    I believe he will get another shot, good to see he is humble enough coach Third.
    I love his press conference.

• Old Gator - Feb 17, 2013 at 9:02 AM

“He brings a lot of etc.”

Exquisite. I gotta find a million ways to use that one.

-Fanofpostmodernism

• historiophiliac - Feb 17, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Urgh

• Old Gator - Feb 17, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Thag! Is that you? Oh man, I thought that Stegosaurus skwashed you!

Now what are we going to call its ass?

• historiophiliac - Feb 17, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Alexander Hamilton

• Old Gator - Feb 17, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Must be a mean beast when it has a…Buddha, forgive me….Burr up its ass.

12. lostsok - Feb 17, 2013 at 9:03 AM

I’m surprised he doesn’t have a reality show. He can co-manage a softball team with Gary Busey.

• Old Gator - Feb 17, 2013 at 9:07 AM

He has a surreality show. Longest running in baseball.

13. mazblast - Feb 17, 2013 at 12:37 PM

It’s not a case of Ozzie being a bad guy or a bad baseball guy. His problem is that he won’t shut up, he says crazy things, and he’s surrounded by family and friends who make him look like a cool, calm, man of wisdom by comparison.

14. cur68 - Feb 17, 2013 at 12:45 PM

This entire comment thread was an ode to Ozzie. Look at them all, correcting each other’s English, verbing, punning, snarking. Shit, there’s even mention of umlauts and tildas. I love me a good umlaut.

Guillen is like Batman. He’s not the grammar cop everyone wants. He’s the grammar cop everyone needs.

• historiophiliac - Feb 17, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Well, good morning!

• Old Gator - Feb 17, 2013 at 1:58 PM

That tilda, by the way, was imported from an exurb just west of London. Surely you’ve heard of Tilda Swindon?

• Old Gator - Feb 17, 2013 at 2:24 PM

I would say sorry about that one too but, frankly, I’m sick of apologizing for everything.

• cur68 - Feb 17, 2013 at 2:43 PM

Beano comics! I thought I alone knew of them outside the UK. Adrian Mole taught us well.

15. mackypinky - Feb 17, 2013 at 1:02 PM

This collection of comments just made my Sunday morning! And this is why I love baseball. Everything about it inspires relevant discourse. And by relevant, I mean irrelevant humor is sometimes the best relevant discourse. Thanks fellas.

16. natslady - Feb 17, 2013 at 1:15 PM

I laughed too.

Ozzie can be a good manager, he just isn’t a good manager consistently. Last year Harper embarrassed him and the Fish–Ozzie came right back with a tight game, Hanley and Reyes actually paying attention, etc. And remember they had that hot month of May when you thought they might conquer the NL East. But he wasn’t able to motivate the team during hard times… OK, the Fish traded away major pieces, but so did the Fillies, and they didn’t fall apart in the second half–quite the contrary. Ozzie needs to remember that his purpose in life is that his stars play their best. He is not the star of the show.

• natslady - Feb 17, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Ozzie out-managed Davey in that game, and that didn’t happen often. I would say that during the season, Davey got out-managed by Girardi (in the Yankees series) and by Ozzie in that game. Ozzie’s got the smarts, he just doesn’t use them, for whatever reason.

17. scoobies05 - Feb 17, 2013 at 4:20 PM

thank goodness buck said no to that. orioles finally turning things around. last thing needed is guillen. we already got an ozzie in town and he is awesome

18. atomickid5 - Feb 17, 2013 at 5:39 PM

It’s only a matter of time before this public nuisance has his own “reality” show.
    Barf bags at additional cost.

19. DonRSD - Feb 18, 2013 at 7:00 AM

Come coach the Mets, he is built for that job.
    LET’S GO METS!!!

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3618)