Feb 16, 2013, 9:01 PM EDT
Pablo Sandoval‘s conditioning has been an issue at times over the past several years, so it’s no surprise to hear that it is a topic of conversation in Giants’ camp again this spring.
According to Chris Haft of MLB.com, Sandoval is listed at 262 pounds on the Giants’ spring roster, which is 22 pounds more than his listed weight for last season. Giants manager Bruce Bochy conceded that “it’s fair to say he has to shed a few,” but he also expressed optimism that he’ll be able to do so. Meanwhile, Sandoval didn’t understand what the fuss was all about.
“I feel in shape,” Sandoval told Haft. “Who cares what other people say? I’m here to do my job.”
Sandoval had 12 homers and a .789 OPS over 108 games last season, but poor conditioning wasn’t the problem as much as a broken hamate bone. Of course, he eventually found his power stroke by socking six homers in 16 postseason games en route to being named the World Series MVP. The best way for “Kung Fu Panda” to silence his critics is to hit.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 15
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 43
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 22
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 50
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (76)