Feb 16, 2013, 11:55 AM EDT
According to John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer, the Reds and Homer Bailey have avoided arbitration by agreeing to a one-year contract. CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman hears that the deal is worth $5.35 million.
Bailey requested $5.8 million and was offered $4.75 million by the Reds when arbitration figures were exchanged last month, but the two sides were able to get something done in order to avoid a possible hearing on Monday. The 26-year-old right-hander remains under team control through 2014 and Reds general manager Walt Jocketty plans to revisit the idea of a multi-year extension at some point.
Bailey struggled in his initial chances in the major leagues, but the 2004 first-round pick has made some real strides over the past two seasons, including a 3.68 ERA and 168/52 K/BB ratio over a career-high 208 innings last year. He had a 3.21 ERA after the All-Star break, highlighted by a no-hitter against the Pirates on September 28.
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 8
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 14
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 31
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)