Zack Greinke explored the possibility of taking a helicopter to Dodger Stadium

Feb 16, 2013, 11:10 AM EST

Zack Greinke Getty Reuters

Bill Plunkett of the Orange County-Register has a piece up about new Dodgers’ right-hander Zack Greinke, who went into detail yesterday about his social anxiety disorder. In short, he hasn’t really had an issue since 2007 and still takes Zoloft daily.

While some have speculated about how Greinke will respond to playing under the microscope in Los Angeles, that isn’t really on his mind. He’s much more worried about the traffic. In fact, he explored the possibility of taking a helicopter to Dodger Stadium in order to make his commute easier. Alas, it’s not going to happen.

“I did. I looked into it but I don’t think you can land at the stadium,” Greinke said. “It’s not as easy as it sounds.”

Hey, these are things that sound practical for someone who just signed a six-year, $147 million contract. I wonder if he got this idea from watching Steve Nebraska in “The Scout.”

1. Old Gator - Feb 16, 2013 at 11:21 AM

“Zoloft” always sounded like the name of a villain from the Flash Gordon serials. Ah well. I guess it was a better name for the stuff than Zarkov.

• bigharold - Feb 16, 2013 at 1:38 PM

For the record the villain Flash Gordon was Ming the Merciless.

• purnellmeagrejr - Feb 16, 2013 at 4:08 PM

My favorite drug name is for an anti-depressant for women called Atagirl.

2. mybrunoblog - Feb 16, 2013 at 12:01 PM

If greinke doesn’t win 15 or more games and if the Dodgers don’t reach the post season this will turn into a huge mess. Mattingly has his hands full.

3. thebadguyswon - Feb 16, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Zoloft is a wonder drug. Its helped me for years too.

• thebadguyswon - Feb 16, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Geez, thanks for the negative votes. LOL

4. beefytrout - Feb 16, 2013 at 12:47 PM

It obviously doesn’t matter now, but perhaps in the future the Rangers brass could let people know there is a helipad at Rangers Ballpark in Arlington.

5. Gordon - Feb 16, 2013 at 12:52 PM

He can fly over & parachute in.

That’s just as ridiculous as his idea.

• cosanostra71 - Feb 16, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Kobe Bryant has been taking a helicopter to Lakers games for years.

• misterchainbluelightning - Feb 16, 2013 at 2:58 PM

I was going to say the same thing.

6. jwbiii - Feb 16, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Your workplace doesn’t have a helipad? First world problems.

7. banger60 - Feb 16, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Thank god he doesn’t have anxiety over cashing checks!

8. adeedothatswho - Feb 16, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Pretty sure he got the idea from Kobe.

9. insidefastball - Feb 16, 2013 at 2:09 PM

With a $147 million contract my guess is that he can afford to hire a driver.

• indaburg - Feb 16, 2013 at 4:39 PM

True, but I don’t think it’s the driving part. It’s the getting stuck in traffic, no matter who is driving.

• chumthumper - Feb 17, 2013 at 9:12 AM

Went to a night game at Dodger Stadium once and spent a week trying to get out of the parking lot and back to my motel. The traffic was awful even at 11 pm.

10. number42is1 - Feb 16, 2013 at 2:36 PM

“yea, that kind of rich”

11. 18thstreet - Feb 16, 2013 at 2:52 PM

I don’t pretend to understand social anxiety disorder, but it seems to me that Grienke may be well-served playing in a large market. There are hundreds of people in Los Angeles more famous than Grienke. He’s not especially recognizable, even to casual baseball fans. He has a better chance at anonymity in LA than in Milwaukee or Kansas City.

Can anyone offer any thoughts on this? Especially if you are a clinician or have personal experience with social anxiety disorder.

• genericcommenter - Feb 16, 2013 at 4:04 PM

I’ve had it for close to 34 years. Have never received the benefits of treatment quite like he has, but I am very happy for him.

Your idea might have some merit, but I think it really depends on the individual. There’s no real aggregate data on the social anxiety experience. Some people do better blending into large groups, as you’ve alluded to. Certainly some have attacks from a lot of attention being a big fish in a small pond. In school, for example, I did much better when I transferred to a smaller High School- where the teachers weren’t advising the # 1 student in his class to drop out when he turned 16. In college I did better after I transferred to a much larger state university where I could feel more anonymous. Sometimes it’s easier dealing with people one-on-one or in small groups, but sometimes that’s just as terrifying as speaking to a room of hundreds of people. I can’t say I will ever know what it’s like to be a famous athlete, though I had my experiences of standing out on a smaller level and being completely overwhelmed by involuntary anxiety.

He claims he doesn’t have these issues anymore. So it might not even matter at this point. This news makes me feel pretty good, though. After a good 20 years really trying to make some sort of breakthrough, I am doing almost OK lately.

• 18thstreet - Feb 16, 2013 at 7:36 PM

A bunch of people you’ve met are rooting for you.

12. bobthedude - Feb 16, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Excellent job mixing in the Steve Nebraska reference. Well played

• Kevin Gillman - Feb 16, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Steinbrennar always took care of his players.

13. giselleisasucubus - Feb 16, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Slow clap for the “Steve Nebraska” line. Good stuff.

BTW- seen Brandon Frasier lately? Guys looks like he is 70.

14. kappy32 - Feb 17, 2013 at 3:38 AM

Great reference, great movie.

15. blingslade - Feb 17, 2013 at 4:26 AM

You ever feel this Greinke guy is a bomb about to go off?

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (4452)