Derek Jeter fully expects to be ready on Opening Day

Feb 17, 2013, 12:39 PM EDT

derek jeter getty Getty Images

Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter took questions from media members during a press conference Sunday morning in spring camp and expressed once again that he fully intends to be in the starting lineup on Opening Day — April 1 against the Red Sox.

“I broke my ankle in October; it’s been quite some time,” Jeter said Sunday, via MLB.com’s Bryan Hoch. “I’m right where I’m supposed to be. Up until this point, the ankle has healed perfectly, now it’s just a matter of getting everything else in shape.”

“I’m going to have to push myself,” Jeter continued, “but Opening Day has been the goal all along.”

The 38-year-old will not be cleared to appear in a Grapefruit League game until the middle of March, but he’s taking infield practice regularly and hasn’t experienced any sort of setbacks with his running program.

Jeter hit .316/.362/.429 with 15 homers and 99 runs scored in 159 games last season for New York.

Yankees manager Joe Girardi has hinted that Jeter will DH sometimes this year against left-handers.

1. kingsforever - Feb 17, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Doesn’t matter, Blue Jays are better

• protectthishouse54 - Feb 17, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Actions speak louder than words.

• fanofevilempire - Feb 17, 2013 at 1:23 PM

oh yeah, well Jetes has a girlfriend named Hannah Davis, she is better than you.

• kiwicricket - Feb 17, 2013 at 2:42 PM

At what stage is Jeter considered a pervert? 38>22 by some margin.

• cosanostra71 - Feb 17, 2013 at 3:58 PM

He’s a 38 year old dating a 22 year old? Good for him.

• bigharold - Feb 17, 2013 at 2:37 PM

” Blue Jays are better”

No, .. they’re not, .. by a long shot.

• cur68 - Feb 17, 2013 at 4:13 PM

One thing I know, BigH: you’ll be here all season long. I look forward to seeing if you’ll be eating those words. Rest assured, I’ll be here. As Dog is my witness, I hope to spoon feed you all of these comments. If not, well you get to be right. Either way, we gonna have an exciting time in the AL Beast once again.

42 days to opening day. Can’t wait.

• bigharold - Feb 17, 2013 at 5:22 PM

“I look forward to seeing if you’ll be eating those words. ”

Perhaps, .. but it’s all good, . I’ve a big appetite.

I know the Bevermen have improved but they haven’t made up 22 games. And, if by chance the have, .. I’ll have to see it first.

You are spot on about one thing, .. “.. we gonna have an exciting time in the AL Beast..”. There are four very competitive teams but no prohibitive favorite. But, from the the bridge of the Death Star, .. I think the Yankees are the team to beat.

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

• fanofevilempire - Feb 17, 2013 at 6:00 PM

I don’t see anything wrong with a 38 year old baseball player showing a 22 year old swim suit model around NYC, this is a very dangerous place for such a wonderful young lady who is wearing a two piece. Imagine if she ran into a fella like me out on the prowl with the shenanigans I know. She is in safe hands with El Capitan, he has a few gold gloves ypu know and if she conducts herself like a young lady she will get one of those gift baskets I heard Derek has deleivered to the chicas.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Feb 17, 2013 at 6:30 PM

@cur

Rest assured, I’ll be here

I’m your huckleberry….

@fanofevilempire

All you’d need to do is more 3 or 4 feet to the right or left of Jeter, and he wouldn’t even be able to dive for you…

• kiwicricket - Feb 17, 2013 at 6:56 PM

I think the cut-off line is when he retires. It’s free game up until then.
        ‘Former MLB player Derek Jeter’ and 22yr old X,Y,Z’ sounds a bit creepy if not put in context.

Nothing wrong with tier-two, 26-29yr old underwear models…

2. scrock25 - Feb 17, 2013 at 1:37 PM

What doesn’t matter? The article is about Derek Jeter being ready for opening day. It has nothing to do with the Yankees’ competition in the AL East.

3. wherezwaldo - Feb 17, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Blue Jays = Marlins 2.0

• historiophiliac - Feb 17, 2013 at 2:15 PM

It worked for the Tigers.

4. scottgilroy - Feb 17, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Those who doubt Jeter tend to lose. And i’m a Mets fan

5. southofheaven81 - Feb 17, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Toughest guy in baseball.

• historiophiliac - Feb 17, 2013 at 3:09 PM

I might go w/ Yadi on that.

6. scoobies05 - Feb 17, 2013 at 3:02 PM

not a yankee fan..but i do hope jeter can end his career on a high note. one of the true class acts in all of sports

7. scrock25 - Feb 17, 2013 at 7:33 PM

The cutoff line in NYS is 18 years old. He’s a grown a$$ man, she’s a grown a$$ woman. Two consenting adults.

Really people? Seems obvious to me that you’re saying these things because you wish you were getting 22 year old stank on your hang down instead of him.

8. juliath83 - Feb 18, 2013 at 1:49 AM

Steroids. 38 year-olds don’t heal that well.

9. BigBeachBall - Feb 18, 2013 at 4:10 AM

Jeter won’t be completely ready until he gets all his steroid cycles, gynos, and masking agents organized and sorted in alphabetical order in his yankee issued bat bag… then he’ll be ready…

10. scrock25 - Feb 18, 2013 at 8:07 AM

Hahaha… people are such idiots online.

• paperlions - Feb 18, 2013 at 8:37 AM