Feb 17, 2013, 12:39 PM EDT
Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter took questions from media members during a press conference Sunday morning in spring camp and expressed once again that he fully intends to be in the starting lineup on Opening Day — April 1 against the Red Sox.
“I broke my ankle in October; it’s been quite some time,” Jeter said Sunday, via MLB.com’s Bryan Hoch. “I’m right where I’m supposed to be. Up until this point, the ankle has healed perfectly, now it’s just a matter of getting everything else in shape.”
“I’m going to have to push myself,” Jeter continued, “but Opening Day has been the goal all along.”
The 38-year-old will not be cleared to appear in a Grapefruit League game until the middle of March, but he’s taking infield practice regularly and hasn’t experienced any sort of setbacks with his running program.
Jeter hit .316/.362/.429 with 15 homers and 99 runs scored in 159 games last season for New York.
Yankees manager Joe Girardi has hinted that Jeter will DH sometimes this year against left-handers.
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 6
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 6
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 63
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 48
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (259)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)