Johan Santana throws first bullpen session of spring

Feb 17, 2013, 3:04 PM EDT

Adam Rubin of ESPN New York provides the visual evidence:

Santana made it through the workout without any sort of complications and will now perform regular bullpen sessions in Mets camp until he is cleared to appear in a Grapefruit League game. The Mets are hoping that the 33-year-old left-hander will feel well enough to start on Opening Day (April 1) against the Padres.

Santana posted a 4.85 ERA, 1.33 WHIP and 111/39 K/BB ratio across 117 innings last season.

1. uyf1950 - Feb 17, 2013 at 3:55 PM

It will be interesting to see what the market is for Johan assuming the Mets do NOT pick us his $25MM 2014 option Team option. Although considering there is a $5.5MM buyout the option is effectively only for $19.5MM for the Mets if they wanted to pick it up. Whether it’s $19.5MM or $25MM I still don’t see the Mets picking it up.

• jwbiii - Feb 17, 2013 at 5:56 PM

There are really two questions here: First, will he pitch well enough to justify a 1/$19.5M contract? If he pitches like he did before his elbow and shoulder surgeries, he will. I’m very bullish on pitcher who have had labrum/capsule surgery (and catchers with back or knee problems), so I’ll guess no. The second question is, if he pitches well, will the Mets have the money to pay him? I haven’t got a clue on that.

• uyf1950 - Feb 17, 2013 at 6:03 PM

Johan Santana will be 34 in just a month or so. That $5.5MM buyout of his 2014 option is going to make it virtually impossible for the Met’s to move him during the trade deadline. Looks to me like the Mets are stuck between a rock and a hard place when it come to Santana this year and next. Just my opinion.
        When he hit’s free agency for the 2014 season he will be 35 years old. With his injury history the past few years I can’t see him getting any more then a 1 year deal in the mid seven figures at most for the 2014 season.

• jwbiii - Feb 17, 2013 at 7:02 PM

* not very bullish *

2. fanofevilempire - Feb 17, 2013 at 6:05 PM

They wouldn’t pay Dickey, they won’t pay Johan.

what happens in the case of a trade to a contender at the deadline?

• uyf1950 - Feb 17, 2013 at 6:10 PM

I can’t see even a contender willing to pick up Santana at the trad deadline. They would have to pay the pro-rated portion of his $25MM 2013 salary AND buyout his 2014 option for $5.5MM. And they wouldn’t even get a draft pick according to MLB rules since he would be a trade deadline pick up.

• jwbiii - Feb 17, 2013 at 6:27 PM

For the Mets to get a draft pick, they would have to keep him all year, decline the option and pay the buyout, and make a qualifying offer of about $14M. That doesn’t save them all that much money and he just might accept the offer.

• uyf1950 - Feb 18, 2013 at 7:55 AM

jwbiii, I think he would definitely accpet a qualifying offer from the Mets. I don’t see any team that would be willing to sign him for the 2014 season for something in the neighborhood of $14MM for 1 season based on my earlier comments here.

3. atltoarizona - Feb 17, 2013 at 8:06 PM

As a Braves fan I don’t want him back to his old form but as a fan of the wonderful game that is baseball I hope he does. The guy can throw

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (4987)