Feb 18, 2013, 1:20 PM EST
Chipper Jones has focused mostly on tweeting since retiring, but yesterday he was back in uniform as a guest coach for the Braves.
Mark Bowman of MLB.com writes that Jones looked the part while walking around carrying a fungo bat, but manager Fredi Gonzalez had an amusing Day 1 performance review:
He’s a rookie coach. We’ve got to bring him along a little bit. I will address the issue of him sitting on the bucket for two rounds [of batting practice].
I like the image of various veteran Braves coaches mumbling “ugh, rookies” under their breath whenever Jones does anything.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 25
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 80
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 14
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 143
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (143)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)