Chipper Jones back in Braves camp as a “rookie coach”

Feb 18, 2013, 1:20 PM EDT

Chicago Cubs v Atlanta Braves Getty Images

Chipper Jones has focused mostly on tweeting since retiring, but yesterday he was back in uniform as a guest coach for the Braves.

Mark Bowman of MLB.com writes that Jones looked the part while walking around carrying a fungo bat, but manager Fredi Gonzalez had an amusing Day 1 performance review:

He’s a rookie coach. We’ve got to bring him along a little bit. I will address the issue of him sitting on the bucket for two rounds [of batting practice].

I like the image of various veteran Braves coaches mumbling “ugh, rookies” under their breath whenever Jones does anything.

1. Old Gator - Feb 18, 2013 at 1:26 PM

As long as the bucket was upside-down and Fat Fredi meant no more than that, sit wherever you like, Chipper. Seeing you back in uniform is a subtle argument that all may be right with the world within the limited ambit of your practice field.

2. mybrunoblog - Feb 18, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Always good when teams bring back their retired heros and legends to coach in the spring. One of those cool old traditions that only baseball has. The other major sports just don’t lend themselves to this type of thing.

• Old Gator - Feb 18, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Definitely. Some years back – about twenty two or three or so – I used to go up to Piper Aircraft at Vero Beach for regular refresher training and technical updates on a couple of aircraft I used to fly for my family business. There was a sports bar near the water – I think it may even have been called the Dodgers Sports Bar or some such thing, with the Dodger baseball logo emblazoned on the side of the door – where I would hang out with the other pilots, instructors and Piper midlevel execs in the evenings. One evening some folks came in – a couple of ballplayers and one very dignified, nattily dressed guy who looked kinda familiar but I couldn’t place him. One of the instructors, seeing me squinting and trying to figure out who it was, leaned over and whispered “Koufax.” Moments like that are priceless.

3. cranbery - Feb 18, 2013 at 6:59 PM

I wish I could read a post that states:
    Chipper Jones New Manager of the Braves!
    When that happens, I will return to being a fan.

• dgrowe213 - Feb 19, 2013 at 12:25 PM

fairweather fans aren’t real fans

4. elbatazoperfecto - Feb 18, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Reblogged this on El Batazo Perfecto and commented:
    Por si no lo notaron, Chipper Jones fue como Coach Invitado de los Atlanta Braves para el #SpringTraining2013 de la #MLB y le fue bien.

5. crawdaddybob - Feb 18, 2013 at 9:51 PM

Cranbery….if that’s what is takes to be a fan, then you were never a fan to begin with. If you’re only supportive when everyone in the organization gives you a warm and fuzzy feeling, you’re not a fan!

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2849)